Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity
RE: Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity
(November 20, 2016 at 11:44 am)The Joker Wrote:
(November 20, 2016 at 11:34 am)Chad32 Wrote: Objective morality cannot have a moral giver, because that would make it subjective. He wills it because he's good.....

In the old testament you have a guy that's stoned to death for picking up sticks on the wrong day of the week. Slavery, mass murder, and rape are fine, within certain boundaries, yet two consenting same sex adults making love is a death sentence.

The problem with biblical morality is that at best it's only slightly more progressive than contemporary views. We've gone beyond that. There is no objective morality, yet there are things that societies can generally agree on.

Ironically, morality tends to fall apart the most when people in power are left unchecked. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Your god is not all that different than Human dictators. No checks and balances. He does things that most people would see as horrible if it was anyone else, yet when it's him it's good?

This goes back to the word objective. If it's objective, then it's absolute. Meaning it's wrong, no matter who does it. If you start making exceptions, then it isn't objective. If I had a gardener that I told not to work on Sundays, and kill him because he swept my drive on Sunday, that would be wrong. If this act is objectively wrong, then it's wrong no matter who does it. Even your god.

I don't find anything wrong with what God did in the Old testament. God was good in the Old testament. You need to read it in context.

Remember, for the atheist, humans are just accidents of nature – highly evolved animals. But animals have no moral obligations to one another. When a cat kills a mouse, it hasn’t done anything morally wrong. The cat’s just being a cat. If God doesn’t exist then we should view human behavior in the same way. No action should be considered morally right or wrong.

But the problem is – good and bad, right and wrong do exist! Just as our sense experience convinces us that the physical world is objectively real, our moral experience convinces us that moral values are objectively real. Every time you say, “Hey, that’s not fair! That’s wrong! That’s an injustice!” you affirm your belief in the existence of objective morals.

Well if you see nothing wrong in the old testament, then we're probably not going to come to an agreement here. There's not much I can say on morality if our thinking is that divergent.

We are animals. We have a moral obligation to our people because we're social animals. we need each other for long, healthy lives. There are instances of people living off in the woods by themselves, but generally it's a much riskier situation. Especially if you live in an area with large predators. Morality comes about because we are social animals that need rules in order to coexist.

As far as right or wrong, we obviously have an example of how different people's views on that can be. I find the majority of the bible deplorable, while you just say I need to read it "in context", and act as if your god is good by definition. Why should we think he is good, anyway? Because he says he is? 

There are no objective morals, and this is proven by the fact that people right on this message board can talk so passionately from opposite sides of major issues. A person's morals can change with age, given new information. Mine changed as I grew up, and left the church. Someone's can change as they grow up to become religious. Morality is flexible.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity - by Chad32 - November 20, 2016 at 11:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 424 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 42581 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 17405 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1639 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Can "Jesus is God" be compared to "Ghost in the Shell" anime Woah0 17 1802 August 20, 2022 at 3:45 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2270 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 1049 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2464 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  1 John 4:1 compared to The No True Scotsman Fallacy and sophisms Thomas Kelly252525 104 14320 June 20, 2016 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Problem of Evil (XXVII) SteveII 248 28320 June 16, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: SteveII