Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(November 25, 2016 at 9:55 pm)Balaco Wrote: Brought this particular post up to a Catholic website and got this response I'd like to hear a counterclaim of. Pretty sure I can tell what you guys are going to have to say but I'm interested anyway. These answers seem dependent on love of and belief in the loving nature of God...so I'll probably just have to continue my research on the existence of God.

1 and 3 don't really answer the question and I get the impression that the person answering did not understand them. The questions imply that there is no evidence that there is a god, or that there is one that does not pay us any attention. Explaining that god's apparent abandonment of humanity shows how much he loves us doesn't make sense.

2 was basically "I'll check it out after I die." Not really an answer and again seems to misunderstand the point.

4 would lead you to wonder why the Islamic martyrs today are not sufficient proof of Allah's existence. Why would they die for a lie?

5 makes a claim that cannot be substantiated, though the wording implies that this is a matter of faith. I'd ask for a list of those miracles. I also wonder what kind of list I would get if I asked a Muslim or Hindu or another Christian denomination, and what any of those would say about this person's list. Any bets that a good number of those miracles would be explained as the devil trying to lead people away from god's truth?

It's common for theists to give vague answers, or answers that rely only on their holy book, or to contend that their claims cannot be disproven. Consider how they would react to the same explanation given by someone of a different denomination or faith, and see if they can explain how one might establish the truth of any such claims. Turning to philosophy or metaphysics or intuition when dealing with an atheist may seem to work, but not so much when they're dealing with someone who uses their same approach and they realize that there is no consensus on how those methods can be consistently applied in order to get to the truth.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by Tonus - November 25, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1932 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8165 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2218 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1079 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3437 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5318 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2913 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2024 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8402 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14055 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie