Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church.
British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church.
British Non-Catholic Historian Thomas Macaulay wrote about the Catholic Church: "There is not, and there never was on this earth, a work of human policy so well deserving of examination as the Roman Catholic Church. The history of that Church joins together the two great ages of human civilisation. No other institution is left standing which carries the mind back to the times when the smoke of sacrifice rose from the Pantheon, and when camelopards and tigers bounded in the Flavian amphitheatre. The proudest royal houses are but of yesterday, when compared with the line of the Supreme Pontiffs. That line we trace back in an unbroken series, from the Pope who crowned Napoleon in the nineteenth century to the Pope who crowned Pepin in the eighth; and far beyond the time of Pepin the august dynasty extends, till it is lost in the twilight of fable. The republic of Venice came next in antiquity. But the republic of Venice was modern when compared with the Papacy; and the republic of Venice is gone, and the Papacy remains. 

The Papacy remains, not in decay, not a mere antique, but full of life and youthful vigour. The Catholic Church is still sending forth to the farthest ends of the world missionaries as zealous as those who landed in Kent with Augustin, and still confronting hostile kings with the same spirit with which she confronted Attila. The number of her children is greater than in any former age. Her acquisitions in the New World have more than compensated for what she has lost in the Old. Her spiritual ascendency extends over the vast countries which lie between the plains of the Missouri and Cape Horn, countries which a century hence, may not improbably contain a population as large as that which now inhabits Europe. The members of her communion are certainly not fewer than a hundred and fifty millions; and it will be difficult to show that all other Christian sects united amount to a hundred and twenty millions.

Nor do we see any sign which indicates that the term of her long dominion is approaching. She saw the commencement of all the governments and of all the ecclesiastical establishments that now exist in the world; and we feel no assurance that she is not destined to see the end of them all. She was great and respected before the Saxon had set foot on Britain, before the Frank had passed the Rhine, when Grecian eloquence still flourished at Antioch, when idols were still worshipped in the temple of Mecca. And she may still exist in undiminished vigour when some traveller from New Zealand shall, in the midst of a vast solitude, take his stand on a broken arch of London Bridge to sketch the ruins of St. Paul's."

If the Catholic Church was allegedly not of divine origin and just, as this same historian, says, "a work of human policy (albeit, one well deserving of examination", isn't it rather surprising it even got off the ground to begin with, beginning with 1 Carpenter, and 12 Poor Disciples, and has endured 2000 years? This cannot be compared to other religions, for e.g. Hinduism, which was traditionally the religion of an entire nation; nor of Islam, since Mohammed had armed warriors following him right from the time of his own life. Meanwhile - and I heard recently on this forum that Christianity was allegedly started by "goat herders", presumably Shepherds; actually, it was started by 1 Carpenter, Jesus Christ, who would have worked at His earthly father's business, to provide for His Mother and Family, before starting His Ministry; as well as 12 poor disciples, most of whom were fisherman. So, what gives? How did Christianity endure? It would have been like 0.000001% of the population at that time. The Sanhedrin was much more powerful. And yet it was opposed to Christianity. And Pagan Rome was even more powerful. And yet it was even more opposed to Christianity, in the beginning, before Christianity triumphed there as well, then later in the rest of Europe, through St. Patrick, St. Augustine of Canterbury Macaualay mentions etc. So, again, what gives? How did Christianity even survive?

Thoughts?
Let's Debate.
Regards,
Xavier.
RE: British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church.
Your historian seems to have forgotten Avignon. Not much of a historian if he forgets history.

For what it's worth, the Eleusinian mystery cults lasted at least 1500 years. That didn't make them right, either.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church.
Why didn't the neanderthals get some catholicness?

Why did it wait so long to share its holy bullshit?

You really are a moron. I hope you don't have any kids.
Macaulay lauds the staying power of the Church as an institution. Ok, I agree that it's an enviable record, but so what? Claiming that it survived because of divine origin smacks of the incredulity fallacy. I have a more prosaic explanation:

Suppose I come to you and say, 'Nothing you ever, ever, EVER do is permanently wrong. No matter how vile, how heinous, how stomach-churningly repugnant your behaviour, I'm going to arrange things so that you can live in a beautiful place where you'll never grow old, never get sick, never have any worries of any sort. All you have to do in return is make a sincere 'sorry about that' every so often and tell all of your friends about my offer and what a great guy I am.'

It's hard to imagine a better line of hucksterism than that.

And, for the record, Jesus didn't invent Christianity. That was Paul.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

[Image: eccles-copy.jpg]
More dribble from the mind of a brainwashed producing regurgitation. It's getting desperate.

NX, you're the perfect religious pawn. Nothing more.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You're easily impressed. Get back to me when your religion has lasted 5k years.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 12, 2023 at 9:55 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: You're easily impressed.  Get back to me when your religion has lasted 5k years.
Or better yet is shown to be true. Hinduism is ancient does that make it true ?
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Nishant obviously doesn't believe that, so I don't know why he'd expect anyone else to.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2484 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3107 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4791 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Religious tolerance in British crown dependencies and British overseas territories viocjit 12 1964 February 25, 2018 at 10:49 am
Last Post: viocjit
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2874 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92813 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
Exclamation new "Cult of 'Non-Beliefism' " aka (the state of being "unlocked") ProgrammingGodJordan 142 14650 January 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A non-aggressive religion? rado84 24 4726 November 28, 2016 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 5009 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist