Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence?
RE: Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence?
(January 1, 2017 at 11:54 am)Astonished Wrote: This struck me as significant after I heard AronRa on youtube saying that for him, his faith vanished after hearing a preacher being disingenuous, with what amounted to a sentence fragment. I wonder how many people were able to be hoisted out of faith by a single spoken sentence by a theist who had no idea what they were doing?

For me it was my uncle. We were on our way out of a grocery store walking to his car to head home when I was about 10 or maybe a little younger. Somehow the conversation went in the direction of the world being dangerous, and I agreed that the world had a lot of evil people. My uncle managed to kill my faith brutally with what he said next: "We're all evil." Okay, first of all, you don't say that to a child, EVER. For any reason. That anyone, let alone an all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving god would view a child in such a way, was impossible even for my preadolescent brain. I spent a lot of years pretending and going through the motions but my addled zealot uncle knew not what he wrought.

Anyone else experience anything like this, where a single fraction of a paragraph  was just so appalling, or shocking, or hurtful that there was no need for further reflection to reject their faith entirely?

Nothing in my past was hurtful enough to leave Catholicism at 13. A priest did get belligerent with me once but that was not as hurt. It was a challenge. One sentence did inspire me though :

"Imagine there's no heaven"  of course the rest - "It's easy if you try , no hell below us, above us only sky".
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did anyone else get deconverted by a single sentence? - by chimp3 - January 1, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam owns atheism with a single verse Loaded dice 341 24781 August 6, 2023 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why did God get such a makeover in the New Testament? Hi600 10 1596 April 1, 2023 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Husband Deconverted!! mlmooney89 39 4684 August 3, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 29496 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5185 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4319 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4135 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
Smile Where else? Little Rik 264 34365 October 22, 2016 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Fact, every single german nazi was a christian Deepthunk 249 62456 August 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Beatles song hey ya got to hide your love away is very relateable for forever single Rextos 3 1267 March 15, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch