Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 6:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools
RE: Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools
(January 22, 2017 at 4:33 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(January 21, 2017 at 10:31 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Why not ask them?

I have. My mother and sister are firmly in this camp. From what I gather, it comes down to the following:

1) They have whole heartedly bought into the narrative that there is real persecution for Christians in America. To quote my mother: "I am afraid that I will not be able to practice my faith freely in this country."

2) They get their biases confirmed by every example of public school teachers/coaches getting sanctioned for baptizing kids at football practice or leading team prayers. They don't grasp the nuance that it is not the prayer that is being outlawed at the school, but rather the fact that it is a school representative leading said prayer while acting in that role that is unconstitutional.

3) They equate the Pledge of Allegiance into this argument, somehow. The fact that students cannot be required to recite the Pledge is further proof that children are being unfairly secularized.

It is specifically a case of unchallenged biases. They are convinced that the gradual drawing back of privileges that they have been granted forever is a persecution of their right to freely practice their religion. I have asked everyone who has ever told me this to explain to me how, exactly, they are being persecuted---or how their ability to practice their religion has been restricted---and none of them has been able to give me a response that fits the bill. All of them give examples where they are simply no longer being given preference.

You hit this right on the nose. This is exactly the kind of reasoning I keep hearing from the Christians I personally know who keep displaying their ignorance about school prayer. None of them seem to understand that prayer was never banned in schools. Students can pray all they want so long as it isn't interfering with their education. School faculty just isn't allowed to show religious preference on the job. I've been able to explain this to some of them, but others still insist on acting like they are being persecuted.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools - by Jesster - January 22, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6985 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1699 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 6289 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1533 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 14890 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Again??? This is why Jesus keeps well away Cyberman 25 5298 September 18, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why can't Christians accept the fact that Hitler was a Christian NuclearEnergy 118 17401 April 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 14414 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
Thumbs Down Why I Don't Want To Be An Atheist ThePrick 189 18740 November 4, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  What I love, What I hate, What I want, What I believe. WinterHold 9 1697 July 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi