Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 4:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do Atheists believe the Bible as?
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as?
Why do I need some standard for an absolute moral authority regarding slavery? LOL, at the ad hom comment...I'll gladly insult the proponents of slavery under any guise. Just raise your hands so I can fire off an entire volley of ad homs.

When there's no other choice? So when exactly is there only one option, that option being to purchase a human being, and this of course for their own good? Remember, we're talking slavery here, not buying someone and releasing them. That's playing the system to a persons favor, not enslaving them.

You'll have to forgive my confusion here btw, you're asking me to show you an absolute moral authority of some kind when I've never claimed there to be one. In fact I pretty much argue against any form of absolute authority every time I post. That I'm suspicious of anyone who would consider another human being as property has nothing to do with moral authority, and everything to do with my desire to live in a world where I would never be considered as such (or anyone else for that matter, but lets be honest...specifically me). I'm left wondering here if you're playing the devil's advocate, or if you actually feel that the institution of slavery has some saving grace, some merit or benefit to mankind. The only argument from a moral authority that I've heard thusfar regarding slavery is the one that goes "God says it's okay...with provisions", well, I don't agree, what justification do I need other than that I disagree? I can be even clearer, if there were a god, proven beyond all doubt to exist, I would still disagree with slavery, even if that meant disagreeing with the real and absolute cosmic authority. I don't need feel the need to prop my opinions on this matter up with any type of authority whatsoever, beyond my own. Perhaps I cant assert any sort of authority on this matter beyond my own sphere of influence, but it is a sword I'd gladly fall on if the only choice was to perpetuate the institution of slavery or die. Before you accuse me of posturing on this, here from my pc chair, understand that I am already a person who's stood between hostile fire and friendly people. These aren't just words, but part of the core of what makes me who I am. So much for the atheists flexible morality eh?

It may be that I'm completely off base, that there are indeed circumstances which allow for the ethical trade and ownership of human beings. I haven't seen a convincing argument to that effect. Until such time as I come across a convincing argument FOR slavery, I'm going to aggressively ridicule those who hold a pro-slavery opinion.

I believe there is a thread on the subject of the bible and slavery particularly, and lest someone get the idea that I've singled this issue out......

If at any point the bible promotes or condones actions which we, as human beings, have decided are less than ideal, I take issue. Whatever one might think of the text, and whatever usefulness it has in any area absolutely ends when it comes to morality. There is nothing that is right or wrong based solely upon the verses in the bible. That we live under a divine dictatorship, with no hope of appeal or escape, that one race of people is chosen over others and as such has divine right to a piece of land or in fact all of the world, that atrocities can be committed in his name, and by that proclamation found to be righteous, that the rules and structure of the human experience are forever etched in stone and cannot be altered, that we should place a higher value on the next world than this..forsaking our earthly concerns for a kingdom in the heavens ruled over by the aforementioned tyrant, that I have a debt for a service or good I did not wish to partake of, and that this debt has been, or even could be paid by torture and suffering, that the highest vocation for a human being is that of a servant to this very ideal, and finally that the world will one day end in yet more suffering and torture..that this day is one to be wished for..and that at the end of this day all of those who stood against this tyranny will be forever cast into a lake of fire. This is what I see when I read the bible. That platitudes and homilies are interspersed within the text does nothing to soften the abject horror of the core narrative, to me.

Notice that I don't even touch upon the wall of ignorance that those who believed the bible to be the literal word of god and factually inerrant erected between ourselves and progress. I don't have to, even if every word were true, it would still be terrible.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by TheCarlisle - July 17, 2011 at 11:46 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Ace Otana - July 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by DaveD - July 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Ace Otana - July 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Violet - July 17, 2011 at 4:45 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Ace Otana - July 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by DaveD - July 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Cinjin - July 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by DaveD - July 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by BethK - July 17, 2011 at 8:32 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Cinjin - July 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Shell B - July 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Cinjin - July 19, 2011 at 2:21 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by padraic - July 19, 2011 at 2:19 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Shell B - July 19, 2011 at 8:35 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Shell B - July 19, 2011 at 8:49 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by padraic - July 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Violet - July 21, 2011 at 1:07 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by krazedkat - July 22, 2011 at 12:39 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by padraic - July 20, 2011 at 1:40 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by The Grand Nudger - July 20, 2011 at 7:50 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Violet - July 21, 2011 at 12:57 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by padraic - July 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Violet - July 22, 2011 at 12:47 am
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Violet - July 22, 2011 at 2:27 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by Violet - July 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as? - by jason56 - July 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5985 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10792 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2384 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3264 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2230 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists interpret bible verses sinnerdaniel94 307 47169 October 19, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth? Tsun Tsu 29 9370 October 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 8996 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How atheists can still believe in God? Foxaèr 9 2910 May 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Atheists... why do you believe that God doesn't exist? fr0d0 356 54516 May 3, 2014 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Brian37