Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 9:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolutionary fine tuning ...
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ...
It's not so much what I've noticed, lol..I don't run cognitive assays.  The most pronounced (in that test results have made it all the way down to practical application in employment assessments) is that boomers are routinely more capable of tasks that require sustained focus whereas millennials are basely incompetent at this - instead leaning on an equally pronounced ability to multitask.  This tells us that through either inheritance or conditioning (likely both) the process our minds use to problem solve is changing as the problems we face change.  Over time, those that rely on focus will be or have been less successful than those who multitask - this is natural selection at work.

The indicator, btw, that it's not solely conditioning is the inability of boomers - even with training- to perform in multitasking environments commensurate to their millennial peers. A literal inability to teach an old dog a new trick. Whereas the reverse is not true. Millennials can and do increase their ability to perform in focus related tasks through training. Meanwhile, age does not seem to be an indicator of competence or inability in other cognitive tasks. Initially, age and memory loss was pointed to as a possible source of the disparity, but with machine assistance zeroing out that deficit as a control (you don;t need to remember shit when it's all in your email chain)...that explanation has lost some of it's weight. People now point to changes both in our diets over the last 70 years and disparate problems we've increasingly been called upon to solve combined with sexual selection for fitness in this changing environment to account for what may be a developmental difference in brain structure.

Long story short, nothing "blunts" our instincts..or evolution - the parameters simply change.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by ignoramus - July 26, 2017 at 5:00 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by The Grand Nudger - July 26, 2017 at 6:06 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by ignoramus - July 26, 2017 at 6:12 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by chimp3 - July 26, 2017 at 6:19 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by The Grand Nudger - July 26, 2017 at 6:22 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by Brian37 - July 26, 2017 at 7:04 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by Gawdzilla Sama - July 26, 2017 at 7:30 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by Astonished - July 26, 2017 at 11:50 am
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by Brian37 - July 26, 2017 at 12:58 pm
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by Mister Agenda - July 26, 2017 at 3:09 pm
RE: Evolutionary fine tuning ... - by Astonished - July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 11316 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Fossil worm shows us our evolutionary beginnings zebo-the-fat 0 383 March 24, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Evolutionary Tree RoadRunner79 165 24917 September 8, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  Did the King Play Chess On Fine Grained Sand for Plants Too? Rhondazvous 1 701 June 19, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1054 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Evolutionary Science Grinds On... Minimalist 19 5160 March 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Evolutionary biology adopting religious traits tantric 55 10538 December 29, 2014 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4146 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  The vanilla bean-evolutionary quandry professor 27 6337 June 9, 2014 at 7:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The evolutionary puzzle of homosexuality downbeatplumb 1 1503 February 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)