Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Modern Science Owe Its Existence to Religion?
RE: Does Modern Science Owe Its Existence to Religion?
(August 18, 2011 at 5:58 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: - You are right; the way you behave is completely inconsistent with your atheism.
- It’s not a claim to truth; it’s a claim to inerrancy, the ultimate standard to judge truth. You have a different inerrant standard to judge it by? Didn’t think so.
- I didn’t say all logical arguments come down to beliefs, that one does though. You can’t prove it is not sound so don’t even waste your time.
- A better recap would be- you didn’t know the difference between a valid argument and a sound argument, so I showed you. You claimed there were no valid arguments for the existence of God, so I came up with one and refuted you on the spot. You didn’t know how presuppositions work in logic (apparently you are still fuzzy on this one though, so we will work on it), so I showed you. You tried to use logic to disprove logic, so I showed you why that was absurd. You have learned a lot today, just think of what you may learn tomorrow! The world is your oyster.

Quoting is fun.

1: Of course we have such a worldview, you wouldn't have anything to bitch and moan about in IDiocy threads if we didn't.

2: Inerrancy: Freedom from error or untruth. Complete failure to respond, on top of obfuscation. You seem to be implying here that all empirical knowledge is counterfeit, good for you.

3: ["I believe" scripture is inerrant] is a different argument. You're attempting a bait and switch. I concede that argument, I believe that you believe. As to your claim of inerrancy, whether or not I can prove it isn't true is irrelevant, you must prove it to be true.

I'm glad we had this conversation. I did learn a lot about logic. Your logic. I'm also glad that you refuse to allow an argument against logic. This provides me with the opportunity to ask you to communicate your valid, sound argument for the existence of your god. As a layperson logic can be very nebulous to me, it's good to have a competent tutor in this field, even if you make a few errors here and there. Your reference to presuppositions being one that I'm actually very familiar with, though I think you may have only been exposed to a single point of view in this regard.

I'm waiting, baited breath.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Modern Science Owe Its Existence to Religion? - by The Grand Nudger - August 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by edk - August 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by edk - August 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm
RE: Non-muslim terriorist kills 84 in Norway. - by edk - August 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 8214 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Was it a modern day lynching? Not sure it fits the category jasonelijah 29 1348 March 30, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 867 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Saudi Arabia whitewashing its reputation by paying to PR companies WinterHold 0 231 October 17, 2018 at 8:00 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  No. He Does Not Owe An Apology, Douchebag. Minimalist 12 1460 January 18, 2018 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  We Kiwis Owe Mr Trump A YUGE Thank You! BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1442 October 23, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3679 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Pissy-Gate Rears Its Ugly Head, Again. Minimalist 26 3013 March 5, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Fuck-Up Fatigue Setting In and Its Only Been A Month Minimalist 4 1345 February 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  It's one of the saddest things of the modern day that the drug war exists EruptedCarcassBloat 14 2021 October 25, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: abaris