Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 6:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
RE: Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question
(March 4, 2018 at 1:25 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: The existence of suffering is probably the most difficult thing to reconcile with the Christian God. Especially when it ends up being you that a horrible thing happens to.

Back when I was still a Christian, I could not be convinced of an interfering God simply for the reason of suffering.  Every time I read about a child being abducted, molested, and murdered (of which there are a LOT) I just can't see how any God could sit back and let that happen.  When a man can abduct and rape a 9 year old girl, then stuff her in a trash bag and bury her, letting her suffocate to death... I just can't see how an interfering God would just let that happen.  Doesn't matter if the girl was an atheist, a muslim, a jew, black, white.  Doesn't matter who the attacker was either.  An all knowing, all seeing, all loving god who interferes couldn't just sit back and let that happen.  If I were god, those men would be struck by lightning before they got their victim back to their house.  On a clear blue day, without a cloud in the sky.  Or heck, barring that I'd lead a Bear to maul him to death.  I mean he supposedly did it to these guys who were making fun of a prophet. 

Once I accepted that though, I had a hard time reconciling God with the God of the Old Testament.  I mean he was obviously an interfering God in the Old Testament.  He freed the people of Israel from the Egyptians.  (At least according to the bible). 

From there it's not hard to question the existence of the Christian God.   Did this God interfere, and then stopped?  Or did the people of the past just think he interfered, when God wasn't involved at all.  At which point I had to ask myself "If God wasn't involved in the Old Testament, then who's to say the old testament is accurate at all?  None of the stories make sense.  Some of the stories even make God sound like a horrible individual."  I know a lot of Christians who say that you're SUPPOSED to Fear God.  Which I find hard to reconcile with the idea of a benevolent god.  I mean is such a god (One that is of Fear) worthy of worship?  Do I want to worship someone like that?   But I find it very in line with the old testament.

I think for an honest conversation about all of this, people have to be able to at least consider the possibility that God doesn't exist.  Because if you start with the assumption god exists, and can only work within those parameters, you'll quickly find excuses.  From the less harmful but totally useless "God would have to save EVERYONE if he saved one person." and "She's in heaven now!"   to the despicable "Well if she prayed harder and just believed he would have saved her!"  It immediately closes the possibility that there is no god, and that's why these children aren't saved.  Whether it's the abduction victim, one of the kids at Sandy Hook, or any of the kids that were in the Alfred P Murrah building.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question - by Cecelia - March 5, 2018 at 12:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6731 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God Exists brokenreflector 210 14608 June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6887 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 7218 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1812 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30548 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Proof that God exists TheoneandonlytrueGod 203 48127 January 23, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2560 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 4041 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 4130 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja