Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
I'll throw my thoughts in here, and it's just my own brainstorming. It may be nonsense.

It seems to me that consciousness may be reminiscent of wave/particle duality. On the one hand, we have a physical brain behaving in a certain way, and the emergent patterns it produces are "consciousness" (objective view). On the other hand, we have an experience, which is also "consciousness" (subjective view).

So maybe it doesn't make sense to examine how useful the experience is, because it's asking an objective question about the subjective side. Finding the right question is one of the hardest parts when we're examining the very thing that traps us into subjectivity.

I'm working through some experimental thinking, and have been called insane by some people on TTA. I don't care if I'm wrong at the moment, because it's part of a process. I'm leaning towards the idea that the "experience" side of consciousness is just a very obvious manifestation of a more universal phenomenon; one which humans just so happen to be able to abstractly communicate to each other. I see everything as being very gradual, rather than there being hard lines where special qualities spring out of nowhere.

PS: could a brain work better a different way? I'm sure it could. Our brains are just a mish-mash of natural iterative processes. One could design something much better no doubt. Would it still be "conscious"? I couldn't possibly say. But I'm leaning towards the fact that it would be, or that in fact it's a redundant/malformed question. Better in what way though? Better at surviving? Computing? Passing on genes?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by robvalue - April 22, 2018 at 1:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 7315 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1642 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3880 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2324 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1764 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1205 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 14718 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1646 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2784 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7715 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet