Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 11:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
(April 22, 2018 at 6:57 am)Khemikal Wrote:  While consciousness may possess no computational utility (I doubt this as well..but I'm running with it to avoid truly useless disagreement), evolutionary utility is a whole different bag of worms, don't you think?  Can you look at the civilization around you, all of it, all of human civilization...this monolithic edifice to human consciousness (however imperfectly described or known), and convince yourself that it conferred no reproductive advantages whatsoever?

No I couldn't but I never said otherwise and that doesn't interact with any of my points or analogies. The point is that consciousness as qualia, doesn't appear to have any evolutionary utility, I'm not denying that obviously many other things have evolutionary utility. The point is precisely that the things that do have evolutionary utility appear to have all that utility without qualia and qualia doesn't appear to have any evolutionary utility at all... despite it being the most real thing in the universe.

(April 22, 2018 at 7:40 am)Khemikal Wrote: You don't think that the investigations of science leverage our conscious experience, or that the production of art and culture in our population is derived from that exeperience?  You see no particular physical attraction in a conscious agent that is otherwise not present in a doll?

They aren't derived from our experience, they're examples of our experience. If objective reality exists outside our experience we by definition can't experience it.

Obviously our brains could do all that art without any qualia at all. That is my entire point.

Quote:These would be things that consciousness is doing, or if you prefer contributing to in the context of evolutionary biology.

No, no qualia required for any of that. I've already illustrated that with the Strawson quote.

Quote: Are they computationally useful?  Maybe not.  Does it grant you "free will"..neither of us thinks so.  Are they selectively advantageous?  Take a look around you, you tell me.

That's all irrelevant. The point is that qualia doesn't appear to be performing any function. The brain could want to be an artist without there being any conscious experience involved. In the same way that a non-conscious robot could be programmed by humans to create art.... humans could have been programmed by evolution to happen to go in that direction (no intention involved in nature itself of course) via natural selection.... without the qualia. Take our qualia away and we get no experience of art, but we get us engagining in art without experiencing it. We get unconscious desires and plans instead of conscious ones. You're just making my point for me there.

Take consciousness away and nothing seems to change besides our not talking about it and our not experiencing it. Everything else seems to be the same (just without the seeming Wink).

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by Edwardo Piet - April 22, 2018 at 7:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 7319 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1643 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3880 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2324 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1764 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1206 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 14719 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1646 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2785 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7716 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet