Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 4:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread
RE: Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread
(May 6, 2018 at 9:47 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(May 6, 2018 at 9:24 am)Joods Wrote: Imagine how I feel when I see people dropping the R word like it's acceptable. Isn't very nice, when people bring up a disability that you personally are dealing with. Same thing goes for the word retard in any form. You'll have to do what I've had to do - grow a tough skin and understand that people use hurtful words in this manner all the time. Sometimes they mean to be hurtful and sometimes they don't.

I think what I said is being misconstrued.  I was suggesting that their might be ordinary, constitutional variation in the way Neo is wired which is making it difficult for him to apply empathy.  That hardly implies that everyone on the spectrum is an asshole.

I agree with you that his brain is not neurotypical and that is why he is unable to empathize. But I really don't think it's possible for it to be due to him being on an autistic spectrum. Autism is merely one way of being neurologically atypical and my guess is he's on some other sort of spectrum even if there isn't a name for it. (Of course, he can be very mildly on the psychopathic spectrum, regardless of if it is called a spectrum, without him being even remotely close to being diagnosed as a psychopath. Just as some people are slightly more autistic than others even amongst people who aren't severe enough to be diagnosed.)

For example, I'd say his lack of empathy in a kind of nasty way (treating people as actual objects) would be more likely due to him being, say, 0.3% psychopathic than it being due to him being, say, 0.3% autistic.

I mean for starters what I am getting at is that autism causes a lack of cognitive empathy, not a lack of compassion (except in the most extreme cases but that's more of an absence than a lack: Or basically, it's due to being incapable of caring about others rather than being disinterested in it... like I suspect it is with Neo (he is capable of compassion but he's not capable of caring about being compassionate)).... what you are describing in Neo appears to be much closer to psychopathy than autism. There's more than one way to not be neurotypical. Another example is ADHD: That's also not neurologically typical (although I certainly don't think Neo's cuntishness has anything to do with ADHD lolllllllllll)).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread - by Edwardo Piet - May 6, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19589 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8741 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4613 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Open challenge regarding the supernatural robvalue 38 6287 May 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15446 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 31531 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Discussion w/ a Theist RE: Premarital Sex StealthySkeptic 110 20166 August 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  So, why are we here .. on this forum? Whateverist 69 21338 June 5, 2013 at 10:25 am
Last Post: dazzn
  Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. Kirbmarc 36 14586 December 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus DeistPaladin 0 1688 May 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin