Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums"
RE: Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums"
(May 14, 2018 at 4:07 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(May 14, 2018 at 3:15 pm)Hammy Wrote: If God knows you will do X then that means he knows you cannot not do X. A choice between X and X is not a choice. A choice between X and not X is a choice.

The first sentence is just wrong. It is never the case that "will do" is the same as "cannot not do".

Um... we're talking about an omniscient being that knows you will not not do X. If there is no possible way in which you ever not do X then it makes no sense to speak of X being a choice. Again, a choice between X and X is not a choice. A choice between X and not X is a choice.

Quote: You are adding some unnecessary connection to the definition of omniscience or free will (I don't know which). 

I'm saying a choice between X and X is not a choice. If God knows you will do X then you must do X otherwise you contradict God's absolute knowledge that you will do X.

Quote:In a nutshell, libertarian free will is choosing an action that is not causally determined by factors outside of ourselves. 

And when God causally determines everything...

Quote:Outside knowledge of how a person will choose does not negate the choice. 

If God knows that you will do X then you cannot not do X. How are you not seeing that? If you don't do what God knows you will do then he isn't omisicent. Therefore if X= the action he knows you will take then there is no choice because a choice between X and X is not a choice. Likewise, if God knows you will not do X then you cannot do X because that would contradict God's knowledge that you will not do X. And again, a choice between not X and not X is not a choice. A choice between X and not X is a choice. A choice has to have an alternative. If you have to do or not do one specific thing, if there are no alternative options, there's no choice.

Quote:Compatibilist (which you seem to be) redefine free will into a meaningless phrase. 

I agree with you and I'm no compatabilist.

The compatabilist version of free will is misleading and trivially true. What the compatabilst believes in literally everyone except a total fatalist believes. We agree here, it's misleading nonsense. It's analagous to naturalistic pantheism (without giving the universe), in my mind. Compatabilists will say that incompatabilists like myself are a "Compatabilist in everything but name!" as if that exclamnation means I'm the one with the problem when they just admitted that their own stance on free will is just a label without content. The fact that an incompatabilist can agree 100% without a compatabilist on everything but not call it "free will" shows how meaningless their version of free will is. In the same way that how a pantheist who merely labels the universe as God call yell at the atheist "You're a pantheist in everything but name!" just because the atheist doesn't wish to label the universe as "God". It's just an example of how silly compatabilism and pantheism are (the modern naturalistic kind where "God" is a meaningless label for the universe, I mean. If one believes the universe has a cosmic mind then that's not totally meaningless but believing exactly the same things as the atheist but merely labelling the universe as "God" is totally meaningless. Likewise, believing the same things as someone who doesn't believe in free will does but calling it "Free will" is equally meaningless.

Quote:No, that is not what I said. Either someone is free to choose or one is not. You cannot have a version that only allows a certain set of choices (as you were proposing). That ceases to be free will.

That makes no sense because having the ability to choose doesn't mean having the ability to choose anything. Even if free will were possible that doesn't mean there aren't options that are un-opt-intoable. 

Quote:Again, compatibilism relies on a "quagmire of evasion".

It's meaningless and pointless, yes. That's why I don't call it fee will. It's trivally true and not worthy of the label because it's a 'version' of free will that's not even up to debate. And dodges the real issue.

The real issue is the question of incompatabilist free will, which is incoherent.

When I am saying that compatabilist free will is the only kind that makes any sense... I am NOT saying that it is worthy of being called 'free will'. I'm just saying that the kind that is worthy of the label, the one that we are actually debating, is incoherent.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums" - by Edwardo Piet - May 14, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sick Of All The Racist Forums. getfree 5 566 January 3, 2024 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sick Of All The Racist Forums. getfree 1 334 December 27, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 17904 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions. LostDays 33 6503 November 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest