Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums"
RE: Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums"
(May 17, 2018 at 11:54 am)Khemikal Wrote: I understanmd that I have a way of framing the uglier or sillier parts of something that people say in a way that makes them reel against it.  That;s not unintentional, not even a little bit.  

Wink

In my case you just go on digressions that have nothing to do with my actual points. That's different to painting the same points in an ugly light like you are doing here.

Quote:In any case the solitary confinement dodge is pointless. 

It's a strawman because it's not the same thing as lack of free will and it's a false dilemma because God doesn't have to choose between that and rape.

Quote: We try to prevent child rape, and we don;t do so by placing everyone in solitary.  It;s idiotic on it;s face and it;s own grounds.  Unless god is far less competent than we are, and that's the only solution -he- can think of.....I have no idea why anyone would utter the first word of it.

It's just an example of a really awful thing that God allows if he is capable of preventing it and if he exists.

Animal cruelty is another example. We could just as easily talk about that instead. Why does not God intervene to violate the free will of sadist who harm innocent animals because they enjoy doing it? 'Free will' is worth this? And that only violates free will in the compatabilist sense. The same sense in which a police officer violates a criminal's free will when the criminal has committed a severe enough crime. It's surely worth it then and it's surely worth it when paramedics intervene to save the lives of people too. Why would it not be a supremely moral act by God to prevent all of those things?

(May 17, 2018 at 12:07 pm)Khemikal Wrote: We have better options, one presumes a god has even better options than we do.  Or not..again with the elephant.

Look Khem, if we're asking about what Christians believe we are obviously going to start from their premise that God exists. Talking about the 'elephant in the room' that God doesn't actually exist is irrelevant to this matter. This is not about what we believe this is about what they believe. They believe that God allows these things with a good reason and that God both exists and is perfectly capable of choosing to intervene to prevent them. So quit digressing with the "But he isn't capable" part!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions for "Our Role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums" - by Edwardo Piet - May 17, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sick Of All The Racist Forums. getfree 5 567 January 3, 2024 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sick Of All The Racist Forums. getfree 1 335 December 27, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 17904 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions. LostDays 33 6504 November 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest