Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Religious Symbols and 'Separation of Church and state'
About Religious Symbols and 'Separation of Church and state'
I was in secularchat discussing symbols and separation of church and state in america...and about how religious symbols should be kept out but not anything secular....

And I wonder....which religions would this include...and presumably it wouldn't include symbols of Zeus, mythology? What about pastafarianism?

I assume Atheist 'Scarlet A' symbols (like my avatar here) would be allowed cos they're secular....

And where do you draw the line here and what actual harm does it do and what motives....

And I was thinking:

In what context would a Cross or other religious symbol be an unacceptable symbol but graffiti would be perfectly acceptable? In which a cross is harmful somehow...(??) But graffiti or a secular symbol or a scarlet 'A' (for example) isn't?

And isn't suppressing people''s expression of their beliefs a good way to piss them off more??

Sure you don't want religious symbols throughout the government and on the money....but I don't think you'd necessarily want graffiti or atheist symbols there either (well, the public...I'd want atheist symbols lol).

Of course, objectively speaking people have no reason to be offended by symbols. For there are no evil symbols there are only symbols of evil.

For example: The Swastika is (now) a symbol of evil. It itself isn't evil - it's objectively just a symbol. And it's a symbol of evil now -but it didn't use to be. Before Hitler corrupted it it was a positive symbol, of peace I think -for more than one culture too, hundreds (and more) years before I think. I believe it was Indian, Hindu I think - and originally I I read it may have even been Ancient Egyptian or something?

So in what context would a religious symbol be unacceptable but a symbol that's secular would be perfectly acceptable? In which a religious symbol would be harmful and a secular one would be harmless?

Any thoughts? I myself think that either both the religious and atheistic sides can express their views or neither can (that's the fair way)...

And I don't think expressing atheism should be supressed! ANd I think the freedom of speech is very important! People should be able to express their beliefs and their views.

And besides...on a final note: There's nothing wrong with Satantic images so what's wrong with Crosses? Tongue
And I think it perhaps annoys me a bit the idea of removing symbols if there's no actual reason to - it seems like those who believe that having no religion should equate to burning all the bibles, iow - small minded.

EvF

Messages In This Thread
About Religious Symbols and 'Separation of Church and state' - by Edwardo Piet - May 30, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does "Separation of Church and State" mean? Brian37 54 3328 March 9, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why can't most Christians understand the need for separation of religion and govt? Mystical 30 5585 July 10, 2015 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Jewish state".......... Brian37 35 5437 August 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religious symbols in classrooms Dystopia 21 5033 July 11, 2014 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 33274 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  At which point can a state shut down and forbid a religion? Something completely different 11 4752 September 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Davidthegoliath
  State schools 'not providing group worship' frankiej 18 3671 October 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: bozo
  drug rehab state sponsored forced acceptance of god darkblight 24 7040 July 2, 2011 at 6:19 am
Last Post: LastPoet