Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 6:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.)
RE: A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.)
(June 26, 2021 at 9:12 am)brewer Wrote:
(June 26, 2021 at 8:31 am)Frank Apisa Wrote: 1)  They are two different things...and the thing I have been doing is to disagree. On those occasions when someone said something wrong, I might say they were wrong. (Witness the word "fowl.")

2)  Gods either exist or they don't. For you to say that it is impossible for gods to exist bears a burden of proof. The fact is that the existence of gods IS a possibility...is some that some atheists** simply cannot accept. 

3) If you do not want to accept that the possibility of gods exists...fine with me. There are people  on the other side of the issue who do not want to accept the possibility that no gods exist. That is also fine with me. Ya gotta deal with bull-headed people on the Internet.

**Whenever I use the word "atheists" in this forum, it is shorthand for "people who choose to use  "atheist" as a self-descriptor or part of a self-descriptor.

The burden of proof for gods existing as more than a concept is on the claimant. The argument in #2 is simply an extension of concept. god(s) are not provable or unprovable (except by lack of concrete evidence). Arguing that 'can't disprove gods' is silly philosophical position and often held by theists. The premise of a god(s) is flawed from the beginning. There is no need to state 'impossible' unless the individual has some belief that the god concept exists in reality (outside the mind) is valid. I reject the initial premise of god, the possible or impossible argument extension is a non starter.

You can disagree and think that your position is correct that's fine. Understand that it's only correct for you.

If you want to continue being part of the forum and taken seriously in the future you need to move on.
I do want to continue being part of the forum and to be taken seriously...but I do not (metaphorically) intend to sell my soul in order for that to happen.

People like you have been misstating what I have said and inferred. I have been reasonable and logical in my arguments. You folk disagree. Fine. But to suppose I must change in order to meet some standard you people do not live up to yourselves...is ludicrous. 

Ain't gonna happen.

I'm not kidding myself. I expect the moderators and administrators to invent a reason to get rid of me.

Okay...it is their forum and they have that right.

When it happens, I will go peacefully...with fond memories of the battles fought.

By the way, Brewer...the burden of proof for "the existence of gods is impossible"...falls on the person making the claim...which is what I said.

If you think that a person making that claim can logically revert to, "The burden of proof falls on people claiming gods exist"...you are wrong.

Messages In This Thread
RE: A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) - by Frank Apisa - June 26, 2021 at 9:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1256 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 3782 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7229 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9920 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2673 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6889 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  The second most atheistic group in the world is... Gawdzilla Sama 15 3645 December 2, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4594 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc. bussta33 11 4418 December 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Beliefs, Significant Others and Compromises Bob Kelso 20 5038 September 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut