Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc.
Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc.
>snip<

A very inspirational and motivational video.  To me, it provided a clear way to find meaning without a deity, as I was confused about this before.  I recommend watching until the end.

Moderator Notice
Please review our rules. You are not allowed to post links to outside content until you have accrued both 30 days and 30 posts.
RE: Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc.
Meaning is not an intrinsic property of life. If you need one, give it to it yourself
Can I give my life the meaning of "chicken"? If there is a reasoning as to why I would give my life one reason and not another, am I really the one who gets to choose?
There doesn't need to be a 'meaning' to life. Life is exactly what you make it. Not having an imaginary friend gives me more time than someone who goes to church every sunday, and I can do anything with that extra time. My meaning is whatever I make of it. Some prefer to work, some make music, some paint and some spend time with their children.
(December 11, 2015 at 6:00 am)Amine Wrote: Can I give my life the meaning of "chicken"? If there is a reasoning as to why I would give my life one reason and not another, am I really the one who gets to choose?

Just don't give it the meaning of dishonesty by being purposefully obtuse and conflating two meanings of a word and you'll be fine.

If there is any reasoning to why you would go by train and not by foot, are you the one to choose?
(December 11, 2015 at 6:42 am)Ghorza Wrote: There doesn't need to be a 'meaning' to life. Life is exactly what you make it. Not having an imaginary friend gives me more time than someone who goes to church every sunday, and I can do anything with that extra time. My meaning is whatever I make of it. Some prefer to work, some make music, some paint and some spend time with their children.

And you save a lot of money when you are not supporting those parasites.
(December 11, 2015 at 11:09 am)Vic Wrote: Just don't give it the meaning of dishonesty by being purposefully obtuse and conflating two meanings of a word and you'll be fine.

If there is any reasoning to why you would go by train and not by foot, are you the one to choose?

Not really, IMO. The question always boils down to circumstances that make one choice or the other the correct choice (unless you just don't know enough) given your objectives, which themselves can be looked at this way. If you are going cross-country to visit your relatives for Christmas, take the train, as you probably don't want the journey to be several months long. If you want to re-create the Oregon Trail or tour the country, then going by foot could be an interesting and challenging endeavor.

Of course, what if you decided to go around deliberately choosing bad options in an effort to prove that you have the freedom to choose after all? I think that itself fills an unchosen (and poorly informed) objective. In fact, it changes the objective, defeating the purpose. No longer is the objective getting to your relatives' place, it is proving that you can choose the wrong choices. And you have to pick the right wrong choices to do that.

In other words, I don't think I can simply make my life's meaning whatever I choose. I have a nature. That's why I don't choose to make my life's meaning some random, incoherent thing. There are currents in my own mind I have to discover and work with. I can't just decide what makes me happy, but I can certainly find out.
Once you tear it all down, and accept there is no overall meaning or purpose, I think the way to go is maximize your tangible feedback. Do as much of the things that return a positive response as you can. Doesn't really matter what. If you can get the feedback go for it, even if it's irrational. It's an interesting twist ending, when you realize that nothing having meaning includes being rational or finding the truth.
Friendship is meaningful. Compassion is meaningful. Many things can be meaningful.

I've never understood the idea that atheism is even remotely nihilistic.
Cristards tell themselves all sorts of shit.  Very important to them that they feel superior.

As always, H. L. Mencken said it best.

Quote:God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters.
H L Mencken

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4032 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3097 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3694 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you? UniverseCaptain 344 25324 November 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15646 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1391 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] What gives your life meaning? EgoDeath 30 3038 October 28, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2095 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3109 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  An atheists guide to reality StatCrux 143 46240 April 23, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet