Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
(August 1, 2021 at 1:02 pm)Deesse23 Wrote:
(July 30, 2021 at 2:18 pm)tackattack Wrote: OK..........
OK

Nice try to bury the issue under a huuuuuuge pile of horseshit.
Now given ALL the context you want (and seemingly need), dont post that wall of BS again, plz, make out of it what you want but WHAT DOES YOUR GOD WANT TO SAY WITH THESE VERSES WITHIN THE GIVEN CONTEXT....take your time and respond, to those verses, no walls of text no dissertations....just your conclusions: WHAT DOES HE SAY HERE (or better: what does the bible claims he said here)?

And no, NOONE said god orders people they SHOULD have slaves, but what does he do here?

Quote:44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have (B), shall be(A) of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye(a) buy bondmen and bondmaids.

45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you(B), of them shall ye(A) buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

46 And ye shall take them(A) as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever(B): but over your brethren the children of Israel(B), ye shall not(A) rule one over another with rigour.

That's why I put it in hide tags. Sorry if bringing context and a thorough exegesis ruffled you the wrong way. If you fully admit that no one says that God should have slaves, then you're being disingenuous to ask. If you're freely admitting that the Bible does not ask people to own slaves then you already have your answer as to what this says and I agree with it. 

To be succinct the verses here are pretty simply if you have slaves do XYZ in their treatment, and if you buy slaves buy them from Tommy across down. 

If the Bible doesn't prescribe people to buy slaves and it does prohibit some instances of slavery and talks about when to free slaves, then it does not support/endorse slavery, IMO. It may be prescriptive on what to do if you find yourself owning slaves (or prisoners of war or those slave's kids) and how to treat them, but the Bible prescribes all sorts of behaviors on how to treat people. That's kind of what it does.

@The Grand Nudger Who you classify me with is fairly irrelevant most of the time although I appreciate any regard I get on this forum from just about anyone. I have limited reading and response time so I typically only spend time responding and replying mostly to atheists. You feel Magic book certainly and inarguably supports the ingrained contempt of all women. I disagree, and as you said I don't believe that. There is probably some societal biases that can be interpreted, but I do not feel the entirety of the Bible shows contempt for all women. I believe it does prescribe certain behaviors for people (including women). That might make women feel they're being controlled or oppressed, which is likely the root of this issue or near it. I've seen you label Paul as an asshole, so let's start there. "There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." This and the number of greetings and praises to believing women in Romans 16 I don't see how anyone could hold that view. Please enlighten me on the ingrained contempt for all women.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? - by tackattack - August 3, 2021 at 11:38 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3891 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1896 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 22739 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2545 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19593 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9521 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 8108 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong? ReptilianPeon 99 23556 August 25, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Divinity
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6777 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos
  New age religions that threatens Atheists and Christianity repentsinners 5 1926 November 24, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen