Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance
RE: Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance
Quote:Actually, I see no indication that Annik is using anything more than the common dictionary definition of "sexual feelings toward a person of the same sex." She may not be, but reading what she wrote using that definition offers absolutely no contradictions. Anything else you add to that definition such as scientific context is baggage you brought along with you.

Edit: Could you also post the scientific definition of homosexuality you're using? It's obviously not common usage (as you've explicitly stated), and it's not found in dictionaries, so I'm interested in knowing what you in particular mean when you say "homosexuality." I understand that you'll be speaking for yourself, though, and not necessarily a single other person.
(May 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm)Annik Wrote: I think you're are combining having homosexual feelings and acting on them.
I thought I'd made it clear with this post...

Regardless, your dictionary definition has two definitions. This doesn't mean the term is to be used to lump both things together, but that the same word has multiple definitions. I'll use on of the definitions you linked to.
Webster's Dictionar Wrote:Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
: the quality or state of being homosexual
: erotic activity with another of the same sex
I want you to be aware that the definitions are separate. This is because you can use the word in both situations, but that doesn't mean the word is a blanket statement for both definitions at the same time. This should be especially true when actually debating the nature of homosexuality. In complex situations like this, things need to be broken down. When deciding if homosexuality is a choice, we need to both decide if being homosexual (as in definition 1) and homoerotic activities (such as definition 2) are choices.

So separating them is paramount to getting to the meat of the situation.

And for the scientific definition... I do have the APA's insights into sexuality, which is applicable to homo-, hetero-, and bi- sexuals.
American Psychological Associatio Wrote:Sexuality has three stages: Desire is an interest in being sexual. Excitement is the state of arousal that sexual stimulation causes. And orgasm is sexual pleasure's peaking.
Here was can see sexuality split into 3 sections. Orgasm is not as pertinent to our conversation, however. Thought and action are clearly separate here. (This was pulled from an article about sexual disorders, found here: http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/index.aspx, which was adapted from the Encyclopedia of Psychology)

It should also be noted that the APA prefers the term "sexual orientation" over words like "homosexuality" when discussing anything in depth. This is likely because the APA separates orientation from action.

Here is the APA's explanation of sexual orientation:
American Psychological Association Wrote:Sexual orientation refers to an enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions to men, women, or both sexes. Sexual orientation also refers to a person’s sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions. Research over several decades has demonstrated that sexual orientation ranges along a continuum, from exclusive attraction to the other sex to exclusive attraction to the same sex. However, sexual orientation is usually discussed in terms of three categories: heterosexual (having emotional, romantic, or sexual attractions to members of the other sex), gay/lesbian (having emotional, romantic, or sexual attractions to members of one’s own sex), and bisexual (having emotional, romantic, or sexual attractions to both men and women). This range of behaviors and attractions has been described in various cultures and nations throughout the world. Many cultures use identity labels to describe people who express these attractions. In the United States the most frequent labels are lesbians (women attracted to women), gay men (men attracted to men), and bisexual people (men or women attracted to both sexes). However, some people may use different labels or none at all.

I also think that there is no "scientific" definition of the word homosexuality. In studies, people are usually testing about the orientation side of it, thus a blanket statement is not appropriate.

And, as a side note, there's no need to be a dick to anyone. Smile

EDIT: Something just occurred to me that could cause some confusion when surf the APA's site. When they use the term "homosexuality", they are usually referring to it as a sexual orientation.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Obama's church buddies on his new gay marriage stance - by Annik - May 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 10314 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4495 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  If God's Not An Asshole His Followers Are Minimalist 21 3160 August 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1122 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14507 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 45612 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1085 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3911 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4081 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religion & Marriage miaharun 6 1834 November 5, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon