Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion & Marriage
Religion & Marriage
Greetings, I'm just thinking of the fact that people use religion to get married. Is it really necessary? Why is there a rule set upon a couples that they have to get married in a church under gods eyes. In general people get married to love and share their lives together. Why do we need to get religion involved in everything? Even go to the extent to "think" with it. Before marriage there is a class to attend in the church and only if you attend, one is allowed to get married in a church. I don't see why people cant have a simple reception in a hall or a garden wedding. Alter all you celibate your love for one another.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Gautama Buddha
RE: Religion & Marriage
Marriage was a ritual long before religion claimed a monopoly on it.

Religion likes to lay claim to everything and be in everyone's business because it makes the erroneous claim to atruth that we must all follow.

That atheists are able to legally marry in a courthouse without a religious ceremony alludes to the fact that religion is not needed in any capacity except through the delusion stated religion has created for itself.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
They don't need to include religion.

Or to look at it the other way, they don't need to involve the government.

How many religious people (in the west) who get married just do so in the eyes of God but don't then also get a legally binding secular contract?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Marriage is a promise that very few people actually have any intention of ever keeping. It just shows that people can lie while looking directly into each other's eyes.
Marriage (or some variation on the theme) has been around forever, long before modern religions claimed it. Lifelong pairings (mostly between 2 partners, sometimes more in polygamous/polyandrous societies) have been present in most cultures since the dawn of civilization. People pair off, just like many other species do and it has nothing to do with religion. Religion turned marriage into an exchange of goods (i.e. the father selling the daughter/son in law+family buying her) and claimed it is sanctioned by god to do so. It's a big investment, thus all the classes and fuss surrounding the exchange. Religious weddings have always struck me as business deals. I also think religious or not, a lot of people get caught up in throwing themselves a big party. Sadly, the desire for a fancy wedding more often than not overshadows you actual selection of your lifelong mate (and thus the divorce rate is high, they want a wedding, not a marriage, not a life together).
[Image: 08.jpg]
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/sacraments.html

About half way down the page.

Quote:Matrimony
Marriage was not, of course, invented or even practiced by Jesus, nor was it a rite especially important to the early Christians. In pre-Christian times the marriage ceremony might be sanctified by a priest but essentially mutual agreement in the presence of witnesses was the only prerequisite. A high-status wedding would involve banquets, dowries and property transfer and among the peasantry, an acclamation at a sacred grove or shrine might dignify the occasion.
For the first Christians Judgment Day was imminent and in the eternal Kingdom some form of celestial celibacy would be the norm. However, in the fallen world in which Catholicism was extending its writ, marriage was both a politically and economically useful "holy sacrament," a valuable addition to its instruments of dominion. It certainly set the Catholics apart from the sectarians who appraised "purity" and wished to keep their bodies "unsullied" by carnality.
In the dogmas of Holy Mother Church sexual intercourse was a concession from spiritual purity made solely in the interests of procreation. Under the bizarre smokescreen that marriage expressed "Christ's love for his Church" a ritual for Christian marriage was eventually developed, patterned after the sacrament of baptism. Led into the Church in procession, the soon-to-be-wed received blessings and solemn advice as to their duties and commitments. The raison d'être of marriage was the procreation of children, who were to be raised in the faith and would become, in turn, loyal servants of the Church. Hence a fierce opposition to the control of conception, abortion, or the exposure of infants. More babies meant more Catholics.
Churches don't perform marriages. They perform wedding ceremonies.

Marriages are, and remain, entirely a state entity. Because of religious influence on our culture, we allow priests (instead of judges) to sign off on the official documents, as part of their license as an ordained minister.

The rest of the wedding ceremony is entirely between the couple and their friends/family and their deity. The fact that most Christians can't tell the difference between a marriage and a wedding ceremony is just evidence of how deeply-entrenched their privilege has become.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19828 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Catholics are victims of marriage equality (apparently) piterski123 76 10792 July 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gay marriage finally legalized. piterski123 16 6838 June 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Regina
  #Hometovote (On Irish Marriage Equality) Fidel_Castronaut 4 1904 May 24, 2015 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49328 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Same-sex marriage is stealing rights from God Foxaèr 52 13571 July 27, 2014 at 8:33 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  inter caste marriage problem intellectual atheist 15 3929 July 21, 2014 at 2:26 am
Last Post: intellectual atheist
  Christian scholars: 1 man, 1 woman isn't the Bible's only marriage view little_monkey 5 3694 June 4, 2013 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas