Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Theism and Western atheism are on the same continuum. Both are realist.
RE: Theism and Western atheism are on the same continuum. Both are realist.
(December 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm)alwayson Wrote: Its not misleading at all. Existence and nonexistence are the two core delusions which form the basis of every other delusion. Atheists and theists have the same core delusion.

You have neither demonstrated that we have "a delusion" nor defined your terms. Thus, your mere assertion is both invalid and rejected (now there's a negation for you!). Second (and perhaps more importantly), by making such assertions as you just made above, you have included yourself in "the fight", and henceforth (with your actions) have demonstrated the opposite of your assertion.

Ever read Searle?

(December 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm)alwayson Wrote: You will fit right into this forum, since you make criticisms against things which noone has asserted. Nagarjuna was a monk, not a god. Secondly, he doesn't say "stating any ontological position whatsoever automatically puts one “at fault”". He says since he doesn't put forth a philosophical position, he cannot be faulted.

HA! You must have reading comprehension problems. Go back and read (again) what I wrote. See those quotation marks?? There was no reference to a deity. It was a reference to your buying what this dude is selling (a joke directed toward you), but apparently you have a hard time getting those things. Hmm, maybe it's because you have "negated" yourself.

Your quotation IMPLIED (quite implicitly) that anyone who makes an ontological statement is "at fault" (of course you didn't define what this actually means). Do you deny this, or do you believe this? It seems you are trying to play both sides of the fence in order to stay "out of the fight".

(December 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm)alwayson Wrote: Do you even read what you write? This is contradictory. If I negate arising, I negate existence, since you admit that existence and arising are related.

Do you? This is more of your fallacious equivocations. Here is your original words:

Quote:Something cannot arise from other, because then you could have a giraffe spring from a rock. Anything could arise from anything. Moreover if an entity in itself does not exist, an entity other than it does not exist either.

Once again, you have neither defined your terms (such as "arise", "other", or "exist") nor demonstrated that "something cannot arise from another." You are using terms for which you have not defined while making arbitrary assertions (or quoting them) which you haven't provided support for.

But there is even more of a comical fallacy going on with your assertions. You say:

Quote:Ultimately, they are just a method of analysis in Madhyamaka to negate personal identity.

"They are"? What does "they are" refer to? What does it mean? You have just contradicted yourself by attempting to negate what you CALL "personal identity" while doing so from your own self (identity). CLAIMING to negate something (whatever that means) doesn't mean you have negated it.

Please describe how you can have "analysis" without a mind (i.e. - an identity).

(December 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm)alwayson Wrote: Atleast you are being up front about inserting words in my mouth.

NOPE. I represented what you stated just fine. You're just in denial about it, or shall we say "negation denial".

I declare victory! Yay...
[Image: AtheistForumsSig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theism and Western atheism are on the same continuum. Both are realist. - by median - December 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 37766 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6950 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 4469 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 11757 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  We are all the same species.. Brian37 32 3393 July 22, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Rational Theism Foxaèr 17 5455 May 2, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Poverty and Theism Flavius 57 16202 April 25, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Christianity is the same as Scientology Alex K 37 5901 April 9, 2017 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Alex K
Question Is theism more rational in a pre-scientific context? Tea Earl Grey Hot 6 1588 March 7, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2798 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain