Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus
(March 1, 2013 at 10:07 am)Confused Ape Wrote:
(March 1, 2013 at 9:27 am)EGross Wrote: I think they stole that from the Midrash of Abraham

Would people in 7th Century England have known about interpretation of texts in Judaism, though?[/uote]
Ah, 7th century. Maybe the Jews took it from them? Wink There is also a Chinese story of a guy who was invulnerable to gire, his brother to water, and his other brother to the axe. I guess lots of culturs like these stories.

(March 1, 2013 at 10:07 am)Confused Ape Wrote: [quote="egross"]circumsized Jewish male who married gentile women who had children with her tries to pass by Abraham he grabs the guy, puts a foreskin on from the ones he collected, and tosses the guy into the fire! (A not-so-subtle anti-intermarriage story).

When did that story first appear? Was it at a time when there was a lot of intermarriage going on?

The story is in a collection that was published around the same time as the Council of Nicea, perhaps a bit earlier. And it is possible that there could have been later edits to Berashit Rabbah as well.

I left out that Abraham was to do this at the "end of days", since, at that time, there was no heaven/hell that Kabbilistic Judaism would be introducing several centuries later.

As far as intermarriage, the Book of Ezra shows it was a big problem whenever Jews were in exile or lived among non-Jews. Most likely this was a warning.

(March 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm)Confused Ape Wrote:
(March 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: BTW, that movie was puke-inducing.

John Wayne's wooden declaration that Jesus really was the son of God made up for it. Tongue

I think the movie is most memorable for the approach of - "Let's have as many big name Hollywood stars in it as possible and try to outdo The Longest Day." TGSET wins out over TLD for Star Trek fans because it had Spock's father in it. Big Grin

I read a while back that the director, not at all impressed with John Wayne saying "Now.. I... know... that... he... was... truely... the... son... of... God!" said, "John, can we gat some awe into that line?" Whereupon John wany repeated the line in the next take:
"Awwww... Now.. I... know... that... he... was... truely... the... son... of... God!"
“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders

Messages In This Thread
RE: For People Who Think There Was No Historical Jesus - by EGross - March 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 588 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There will be fewer "cousin" stories in the future, I think. Gawdzilla Sama 0 519 December 15, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 2693 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 11321 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5679 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20516 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2264 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Is people being violent until they find Jesus a common occurance? ReptilianPeon 27 5368 November 12, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 112497 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? Razzle 34 7748 May 22, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Drich