Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 5:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, the death penalty and abortion...
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion...
(March 16, 2013 at 9:09 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote:
(March 16, 2013 at 8:54 am)catfish Wrote: I'm not arguing your definition of a person, now am I?
I'm relaying the scientific fact that a human zygote/fetus in an individual lifeform and you guys are denying that it's true. < This is what I find humorous...
Once you admit what it is, we can talk about the morality of killing it. (that's what this is about, btw)
I understand that you struggle to read, but we're not saying it's not an individual life-form. A bacterium is an individual lifeform, so by your logic, we should be debating the morality of bathing or cleaning. Life isn't some magical important thing. Look to your left, the first item you see is likely to be teeming with millions of these "individual lifeforms" you find so bloody sacred. A foetus is totally unaware of its own existance, it can't feel pain or fear. There is no moral issue with killing it if the host doesn't want it, but there is a moral issue with forcing a woman to suffer unnecessary pain and ruin her entire life.

I'd hate to be around you. You must be riddled with headlice that have been there since you were a child because you were so concerned with the morality of killing the individual lifeforms.

Seriously? You're going to argue about the importance of bacteria? Do you realise that we're discussing a human lifeform here?
Why are you even arguing with me anyways? I saw your post where you said that you could never do it. Why not?

(March 16, 2013 at 8:59 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 16, 2013 at 8:54 am)catfish Wrote: I'm not arguing your definition of a person, now am I?
I'm relaying the scientific fact tha a human zygote/fetus in an individual lifeform and you guys are denying that it's true. < This is what I find humorous...
Once you admit what it is, we can talk about the morality of killing it. (that's what this is about, btw)

Well, when you're arguing that what makes it human is its distinct DNA, then you'll need to provide for these additional problems in your definition when they come up. But if you can't, well, then you're just plain wrong.

But you're also bouncing about a lot, too: a moment ago you were talking about what makes a fetus human, but now that you've encountered a question you can't answer about that, you've switched to talking about what makes it alive despite the fact that even a cursory glance at previous pages would tell you that most of us have been likening the little mite to a parasite for the entire thread. Parasites are very definitely alive, but in this sense the fetus is alive in the way that most cells are alive.

Alive, but not conscious.

Now, would you like to leap to some other topic without acknowledging that you're wrong on this one? That's been your habit thus far.

(March 16, 2013 at 8:54 am)catfish Wrote: I saw your post, you answered yourself with "single-bodied, single consciousness possessing", it's kinda silly to argue for multiple individuals after that statement... Undecided

Except that you yourself, mere posts ago, was arguing that what differentiates the fetus as its own distinct human being is its unique DNA.

Chimera have two sets of DNA. Your options are either to admit that you don't differentiate fetuses based on the uniqueness of their DNA, or admit that that definition is flawed.

You should read what I have already wrote. This is getting retarded, really it is.
A human is an individual lifeform formed at conception in case you're too lazy.

Messages In This Thread
Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Tiberius - March 10, 2013 at 10:36 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Joel - March 15, 2013 at 9:25 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by catfish - March 16, 2013 at 10:01 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Joel - March 16, 2013 at 11:47 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by smax - March 18, 2013 at 4:29 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Joel - March 18, 2013 at 10:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 17663 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 2026 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7904 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 32669 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4606 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2251 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1772 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1150 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Atheism & the Death Penalty. Jehanne 135 27360 February 2, 2016 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Spooky
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 5109 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist