Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 11:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
RE: My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell...
(March 28, 2013 at 11:14 pm)Tex Wrote: @ missluckie26

First off, I love the Holy Grail. My favorite of their movies. I watched it just last Monday. Anyway, on to the real stuff.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent."

Its the last conclusion you got wrong. God is entirely able, and if he weren't, he would not be omnipotent, yes, but will is a different matter. I can will to go to the football game, and I can go. I can will that I make a sammich, and I make one. However, sometimes we can only will one of two options. Pretend you have to paint a wall in your house. Pretend you like both blue and green, but not teal. You can only paint it one color. It is impossible that the whole wall (one color) be both blue and green, so instead you decide on one. Equally, if I'm fishing with my philosophy professor and my mother (both cannot swim), and both go overboard simultaneously with time only to save one, I might want both saved, but only one will happen (your supposed to save your mother, btw).

In the case with God, he does not want evil, but simultaneously he wants creatures with free will. He can either have robots and no evil or people with evil (although there will be no evil further down the timeline). He is choosing people. Currently, there is evil, mainly because we cause it. God doesn't prevent other evils because we're total butt holes to him (and death is not non-existence).

Hi thereBig Grin Sorry it took me a bit to reply, Mystic Knight yours is coming soon too! Just been busy. And tired, I'm on chemo treatments..

So, if you look back to before "the fall", Adam and Eve had free will. They chose to disobey.
I disagree with your assertion that "if your whole god theory is right" then there will not be evil down the line. Hell will exist, and that's evil because an infinite punishment for a finite transgression is incoherently ridiculous not to mention unjust.

I would consider god to be evil, unless you contest the existence of hell or all of the old testament/Revelations. God himself says he does not change, and he killed innocents in the bible. That evil will never go away, he's the one who made it that way. But I guess it's not evil because your definition of good is god. I can't even make up a horrible scenario of malevolence that god hasn't done. So let's say he ripped babies out of their mothers' wombs (he did), and that's good because god says so. Anything is good if god says it is.

What's more, he has to be the source of both good and evil if he's the one who is everything and made everything; otherwise there's a law of good/evil that he didn't make but must abide by in which case, who made that system?
I didn't say god doesn't prevent other evils because we're total butt holes (that made me laugh!). I assert that if he wasn't a total butt hole himself, he wouldn't have even created satan and the system of the "fall" and punishment or sin, knowing that he can know what was to happen before it happened. Or he could've just let everyone eat of the tree of life instead of shoving us out into the thorny, pestilence-infested wilderness for succumbing to his fucked up pre-made version of justice.

So he's able, and not willing, which makes him malevolent.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: My reasoning in rejecting eternal torture/hell... - by Mystical - March 31, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12137 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Eternal bliss Cod 135 16812 September 6, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9558 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Nature's reasoning for religion... maestroanth 4 1518 May 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Eternal Damnation Hungry Hungry Hippo 14 5089 August 15, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Hungry Hungry Hippo
  Free Will and Loving/Rejecting God Nope 126 30040 January 26, 2015 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12698 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 16398 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Eternal punishment is pointless. Ryantology 497 63457 December 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  God is not the only eternal one ! (if he exist) reality.Mathematician 16 3484 June 19, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: reality.Mathematician