Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 4:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Stephen Hawking boycotts Israeli academic conference
RE: Stephen Hawking boycotts Israeli academic conference
(May 12, 2013 at 7:26 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: The examples of it are almost all post 1492, post Columbus, and having to do with the Americas and Australia. There are no known examples of it in Europe or Asia. There are some well known examples such as Basques who were there so long they speak an Indo-European language.

Who cares how long they were there? If they aren't the original inhabitants of the area then those inhabitants were displaced. It doesn't matter how far back in time one has to go. Nevertheless, I'd suggest the opposite, that displacement decreased in frequency as we draw closer to the present but increased in intensity. You're focusing on what, 50 years (max 550 years going by 1450) out of a potential 200 thousand? Just, wow.

Quote:There are examples of it from Africa but not many -- which is not surprising of course. The best known the Zulus were migrating south as the Afrikaans were migrating north and both "encouraging" the original population to get out of the way.
There are examples of it from every corner of the globe stretching back the entirety of our experience as a species. People have been displaced recently with much greater ferocity though, sure. Political refugees are the original impetus for the coining of the term - and there are plenty of them worldwide. In 2009 the UNHCR released an estimate of 42 million refugees worldwide. Must I list where each and every refugee fled from? I think not. Similarly, we find no shortage of displacement in europe long before 1492, the UK is a great example of this, being a nation comprised of Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Danes and Normans. Each group having more or less power and range at any given time - all marking the landscape until finally congealing into a singular entity. Then of course we have that wonderful mongol horde devastating the populations all across Europe and Asia. If we wanted to continue further back it becomes more difficult to identify these displacements - but not so difficult that it's impossible, que one Chris Stojanowski who just may have written a fairly definitive paper on identifying a displacement so vast that it is near total in scope by means of skeletal remains dated to the early holocene.....

Quote:Name the displacements. There was one Sennacherib bragged about. There were ruling classes imported in some cases but not actual displacements or replacements, I am very interested in reading your list of them. The supposed Hadrian expulsion is no more than religious legend.
Identify a "first peoples", and we'll have something to discuss, won't we? When you're done imagining, I'll ask you what you reckon happened to whatever older culture or peoples we find remains for in the same area. Pro-tip, they were likely displaced. We have a knack for displacing other species of animals (including other species of hominid) and of course, for displacing each other. One might even say that it goes farther than a knack...to a willing eagerness.

Of course, I know that you can't - because we're hard pressed to identify any first peoples - what with a major displacement event of some kind or another having occurred more than once in our history as a species - with profound and lasting results on a tenacious sort of evidence. The genes we carry tell a story.

Quote:If you are going to consider premeditated murder and theft as legitimate we do not share a common understanding of those words.
Strange, never saw anything in their declarations about either.

Quote:So what if it is there? They wiped Palestine off the map after 2500 or more years. No one misses Palestine. It will be no different when this first and only Israel ever to exist is gone. ALL of its problems exist because those problems are what the Zionists wanted. There is no sympathy for the fool who deliberately creates his own problems.
The same can be said of any nation built on the ashes of another, any invading peoples, the examples of which could bury our own in ash (and probably will someday). To continue along the same line - no one will miss any part of europe carved up in an effort to return it to whomever we finger as the thief that said piece of land rightly belongs to - I suggest that a significant amount of property in europe belongs to the isrealis. What say you, if any portion of Isreal belongs to the Palestinians - then surely the same assessment holds farther north. That's whats on the table, is it not, unless we're just talking about taking something from someone...and using the notion of returning something as pretext......

Or, we could drop the bullshit and insist that -they- handle their shit together, as cohabitators of a single nation - or not..make the split, but fucking handle it, rather than using it as a running excuse for extremism from either side. You know what, I just remembered that there are 42 million refugees in the world...perhaps if the Isrealis and Palestinians can't get it together we could send them there.

Quote:And if one is not pointing at the Jews, just who else is there to point to? They wanted it this way.
There are the Palestinians to point at. Something you've consistently missed or deliberately omitted. All you've got is the sins of the father and the crimes of another? Tell me you're joking......
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Poster Boy? - by A_Nony_Mouse - May 8, 2013 at 8:21 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking boycotts Israeli academic conference - by The Grand Nudger - May 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Press Conference Brian37 4 368 January 20, 2021 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Listening to President Trump's Press Conference onlinebiker 12 1558 November 8, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trumps press conference....eek! Dancefortwo 14 975 September 27, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Stephen Colbert: The Legend of Roy Moore Minimalist 1 436 December 14, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Elizabeth Warren Last Night With Stephen Colbert Minimalist 4 962 November 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Stephen Colbert Works Over Drumpf Minimalist 0 780 January 12, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is ISIS Worse than the 1948 Israeli State? Rhondazvous 36 5454 August 15, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Stephen Colbert...Trump Debates Trump Minimalist 2 1295 January 30, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Alqaeda is a U.S., Saudi and Israeli backed organization. I and I 62 13314 December 23, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Stephen Fry Arguing with Russian Anti-Gay Lawmaker Nine 3 1687 October 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Nine