Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
Good debate. Thoroughly enjoyable read.

Just a thought on the morality issue.

Atheism is amoral has been stated several times on this thread. Actually this is something I agree with - in the same sense that mathematics is amoral, or a person's height is a gauge to the morality of their behaviour and so on.

This does not mean, however, that atheists can be moral "despite" being atheist. The word despite is wrong. People can be moral whether or not they are atheist would be a better description just as they can be moral whether they are short or tall.

So if atheism does not confer morality - what does? Does religion?

I am yet to see any study that shows that theists are more moral than eithers atheists or theists following different pathways.

I do not see that there are any immoral acts that an atheist would perform that a theist would not. On the other hand there are many immoral acts that religious people do/have done throughout history that an atheist would not do. Suicide bombing is a good example, as is circumcision (particularly female), buring of witches, the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition......

In summary then - the case for religion confering morality looks very weak indeed.

Religion does generally document a version of morality - varying slightly between religions. As these come from our quite distant past they do not appear to offer much of a guide in today's reality. The 10 commandments is notable for quite how badly it fairs. Rape and child-molesting are not even mentioned whilst covetting is - and I cannot imagine that makes anyone's top ten these days.

One must conclude, therefore that morality is not related to belief except where such belief might corrupt morality.

So where does it come from?

My supposition is that it is an innate part of the human condition brought to us through evolution and natural selection. Those that cooperated, worked together and respected one another, survived.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong? - by max-greece - August 11, 2013 at 3:53 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10012 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2809 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33725 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42195 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17851 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 83535 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3640 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1440 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10269 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1185 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus