Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do if you found out God existed
What would you do if you found out God existed
Ok, so let's suppose that God really does exist and that He proved His existence to you. He showed up and did exactly whatever was needed to convince you personally that He is real.

You had a conversation with Him for many many hours, over the course of many days in a row, and He even showed you things... like certain things in the future of humanity so you could see how everything will ultimately fall together. He took you back in time so you could see particular events, including many moments from the life of Jesus. He showed you what the afterlife is like, fully answered every single one of your questions about why He allows certain things to happen, etc, and cleared up all misconceptions and misunderstandings you have had that made you think He was bad.

Let's say you came away from all that realizing God isn't who you thought He would have been, but is actually completely good. Would you then want to be with Him? Want to follow His ways? Feel remorse for the times in your life when you acted wrongly?

...Or would you feel angry and continue on hating the idea of God (even after learning He actually is good), hating the idea of having to "answer" to a higher being, etc?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: What would you do if you found out God existed
"...Or would you feel angry and continue on hating the idea of God (even after learning He actually is good), hating the idea of having to "answer" to a higher being, etc?"

Absurd.
I would be forced to believe.

But here's the thing. There are a lot of "ifs" in this scenario.

For instance, discovering that god is all good. That would immediately mean that the character, as described in the OT, didn't exist. At least not in the way he is described (jealous, spiteful, wrathful, etc). This immediately brings up the question on which is the true nature of the deity and, indeed, is the god before me the actual being from the OT?

Has he grown up/matured, into the being I've just met? Is the OT description completely wrong (making me question the veracity of the whole book).

If he was, indeed, misrepresented and has always been good, I guess I could support getting to know him better, though worship would be a long way off.
Dying to live, living to die.
It's a lot like asking if my life would change if I won the lottery, with one big difference: I can actually win the lottery.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I would ask him if there really was a divine plan and if so, why doesn't he tell people how useless and greedy prayer is.

I would ask him why he allows for suffering all over the world.

I would ask him why he created people with sin if he really is/was responsible for the creation of the earth. Seriously, he could have left out that whole part, saving a shit ton of trouble.

I would ask him why he's been such a fucking asshole to allow my daughter to be separated from me by an abusive, narcissistic piece of shit who should be in jail.

I would ask him why he's taken over 2000 years to finally show up.

I would ask him how, after he's allowed horrible things to happen and he finally shows his face, he expects anyone to trust and just believe that he is indeed this mysterious "god" being.

I would tell him what a low life asshole he is. I would tell him that he has no right to ask anyone to worship him since he allowed terrible things to happen. And I would ask him what a "supreme being" actually needs with money since he can literally conjure up anything he wants to.

And then I would walk away and life my life just as I have been doing, still believing that there is no god.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
The rules by which the universe operates proscribes the existence of the god (as described in the opening post). That makes the OP just another pointless 'what if' question.*

*That will no doubt run for many pages.

Edit: Reword the OP and substitute Superman, for god. Same nonsense, different imposable character.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
The appearance of a God would make me want to go to Hell, where all the interesting people would be.
Quite the extension of fantasy ya got going there C_L.

I can't hate something that does not exist except as  fantasy. I hate the fantasy delusion that mankind has made to it's detriment.

If real, I'd probably say KMN. If the promises are actually true why would I want to subject myself to further end of life decay and disease. Plus, I get out of the human worship loop hole.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I can't continue hating something I didn't hate to begin with.

The what if of it is so hard to answer because there's just nothing within my comprehension that could ever explain away all the terrible things that have ever happened.

But...let's say he did exist and he somehow did explain it. I would be okay with that, I would believe if I was given all the evidence and all the answers. Assuming for the sake of argument that I didn't just write it off as myself having gone insane.

Would I want to worship him? No. Would I understand his need or desire to be worshipped? No.

I already regret all the things I've done wrong in my life, I don't need a god to tell me to feel remorse over the mistakes I've made.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Quote: Joshua 11:621st Century King James Version (KJ21)

6 And the Lord said unto Joshua, “Be not afraid because of them, for tomorrow about this time will I deliver them up all slain before Israel. Thou shalt hamstring their horses and burn their chariots with fire.”

I guess I'd have to ask him why he was such a prick?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5879 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3175 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4607 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1410 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2833 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4049 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2242 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 15530 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 6843 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2562 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon