Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 5:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
(August 20, 2013 at 10:13 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(August 20, 2013 at 6:09 pm)discipulus Wrote: So you are telling me you believe in an afterlife where your virtuous conduct in the present world is rewarded and an afterlife where the men who break the objective moral laws you espouse are punished?

No.

Interesting....

So you are telling me that no matter how health conscious you are, the health nut who exercises seven days a week and the lazy cheese puff eating obese gluttonous man will both die....

The health nut may live longer than the glutton, and the glutton may live longer than the health nut...

But they both die and are not judged for how they have treated their bodies and how they have treated others...

Is this what you are telling me?

(August 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm)Chas Wrote: No, it's memetic evolution. And convergent evolution is evident in the large agreement of basic moral judgements across diverse cultures.

And these convergent ideas may or may not be objective morality.

Interesting....in fact...you agree with Lewis then on your observation regarding the fact that there is large agreement of basic moral judgements across diverse cultures.

You then stop and say this is not cultural relativism.

But common consensus morality is simply might makes right, then you are left with cultural relativism. There is no escape.

For you must indeed be aware...that societies are simply collections of individuals at base. Many societies may agree as a whole that it is better to outlaw abortion and homosexuality.

You may have other societies that disagree, but if the former societies are strong enough to exert their influence over others and render any opposition to their legislation void, then the former societies are in the majority. They can even invade those societies they believe to be acting bad and evil and chastise them and try to persuade them to adopt their morality.

The Allies did this to the Axis powers in WW2.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong? - by discipulus - August 21, 2013 at 6:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10106 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2830 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33766 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42283 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17940 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 83772 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3651 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1441 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10313 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1187 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus