Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
(September 5, 2013 at 1:49 am)Max_Kolbe Wrote: Thanks to you and Stimbo. I hadn't thought about it that way. So correct me if I'm wrong, atheists want proof that God exists, not proof that he doesn't exist? I guess the real point I wanted to make is that I would want, for proof that God does not exist, irrefutable evidence. Yet, I do believe that God does exist, and I believe that without irrefutable evidence. I just find that interesting and it is something I had never thought of before.

(P.S. we can engage in civil discourse.).

Well, the point my peeps were trying to get across, I think, was that the time to believe that something exists is when you have evidence for it, and not before. The absence of evidence for a god, from our perspective, is why we're atheists. By demanding evidence that he doesn't exist before you stop believing in him, you've shifted the burden of proof, and put yourself in an odd kind of position; either you stay consistent and believe in every claim that is made until evidence is presented that it doesn't exist, or you engage in blatant special pleading and require evidence for every other claim, but require the opposite with regards to your god claim.

Neither of those decisions seems at all rational to us, and in fact the latter is a particularly frustrating feature of theism, and so we don't believe. If I came up to you and told you I was god, would you believe me until I was proved wrong, or would you not believe me until I could demonstrate that I was?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong? - by Esquilax - September 5, 2013 at 4:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10207 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2856 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33854 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42717 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 18007 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 84197 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3667 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1448 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10371 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1197 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus