Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong?
Well, I'm pleased that my little contribution to the conversation managed to tickle the little grey cells, as it were. It's rather gratifying to be able to have an effect on another's point of view and altogether exceedingly rare. The last similar occasion was in a Facebook exchange with a person who used the phrase "patty de fwa grar". I offered the correct spelling, fully expecting to be shot down in flames for being a Grammar Nazi, whereupon he thanked me for setting him straight. He said he'd only ever heard the term before but never seen it written down and so found my input really helpful.

It's nice when we can learn from one another.

(September 5, 2013 at 1:49 am)Max_Kolbe Wrote: So correct me if I'm wrong, atheists want proof that God exists, not proof that he doesn't exist?

Of course. We atheists already don't believe any gods exist, so why would we want to prove they don't? Quite apart from which we can't anyway, generally speaking, unless the god being proposed is so vastly incompatible with what we know of history, physics, astronomy etc as to make such a thing incredibly unlikely as to be impossible. For instance, the god of the bible is supposed to have created everything in six days, with light and photosynthesising plants before creating a sun to make those things possible; to have made the stars as tiny lights fixed to the dome of the sky "for signs and for seasons" and which can be shaken down to Earth during the Final Battle; to have drowned the world in a giant, physically- and geologically-impossible flood apart from a select élite group. That god we can be reasonably certain does not exist, to the extent we can know anything at all.

Incidentally, we generally ask for evidence, rather than proof. Something, anything, that we can actually examine and assess on its own merits. So far, when any evidence is offered at all, literally none of it has withstood even the most cursory scrutiny. That is why I, at least, remain atheist.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: Theists - What would it take to prove you wrong? - by Cyberman - September 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10207 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2856 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33854 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42716 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 18007 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 84171 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3667 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1448 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 10370 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1197 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus