Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To speak or not to speak?
RE: To speak or not to speak?
(September 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: Over and over, time and again I hear or read things from people that royally piss me off.

Just the other day, I was getting off the ferry and overheard the two young men walking behind me badmouthing secular morality and that atheism was stupid. It took all of my energy not to spin around and take a stance in front of those men, but I was meeting someone and my son was with me. Not a good time to debate, but boy did I want to.

I have a "friend" on Facebook who is an Eastern Orthodox Christian. He and I don't get along well, but he is an old high school friend so I don't delete him. However, he sure likes to praise the perfection of his faith and the stupidity of atheism. I debated him once on FB, and he went frantic. It was obvious that I was winning, and breaking him, but my sense of morals kicked in and I stopped the debate right then and there. I gave a hefty apology and promised never to debate him on Facebook again. I don't believe I have the right to de-convert anyone that doesn't want to.

Just today, my FB friend put a link to some Orthodox blog that explains how stupid atheism is. I was so tempted to slap a link to a pro-atheist, anti-Christian essay I know of, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bring myself down to his level. I sure wanted to, but I had promised myself no more Facebook debates.

So, basically, I have told myself (using my "inferior" morals) to keep my debating to this forum. But god-be-damned, it sure is hard to stay calm and reasonable when I keep hearing and reading so much anti-atheist bullshit! I'd love to take down these haters, but I just don't think it's my place to. No one has the right to impose their beliefs upon another, IMO.

I wonder if the Christians will ever learn that? Thinking

Rise above it.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Messages In This Thread
To speak or not to speak? - by Beta Ray Bill - September 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Foxaèr - September 16, 2013 at 7:03 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by AtheistCreed - September 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Captain Colostomy - September 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by AtheistCreed - September 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by CleanShavenJesus - September 16, 2013 at 7:56 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by AtheistCreed - September 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by CleanShavenJesus - September 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Simsim - September 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Minimalist - September 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Faith No More - September 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Walking Void - September 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Angrboda - September 17, 2013 at 9:22 am
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Fidel_Castronaut - September 18, 2013 at 4:12 am
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Captain Colostomy - September 18, 2013 at 10:28 am
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by ManMachine - September 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Foxaèr - September 18, 2013 at 6:33 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Heir Apparent - September 20, 2013 at 3:15 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Beta Ray Bill - September 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Angrboda - September 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Beta Ray Bill - September 18, 2013 at 11:47 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by pineapplebunnybounce - September 18, 2013 at 7:21 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Brian37 - September 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm
RE: To speak or not to speak? - by Minimalist - September 18, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4736 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Thinking about getting a Team-speak Server jpell 2 1507 June 12, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: jpell
  Speak Out !! Xyster 30 8140 June 25, 2010 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Samson