Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 2:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God?
(February 8, 2010 at 4:35 pm)rjh4 Wrote: If that is all that is meant by evolution...then I wholeheartedly agree (in which case, I could be considered both a creationist and an evolutionist).
You misunderstand me. What I said was that even if God had created the first life forms, it has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution isn't concerned with how life got here, only how life has diversified. What the evidence does show, is that all life is related to a single ancestor. Whether this ancestor was the first life, or whether there were lots of other life forms that simply died out, and this was the only to survive, is unknown.
Quote:But I do not think many evolutionary scientists would agree with you. If one took your view, there would not be much debate between evolutionists and creationists. Creationists think that there were many different initial life forms created by God and would agree that the life forms that we see today descended from those initial life forms.
My position was a hypothetical, nothing more. It didn't say God created anything, nor did it say that there were more than one first life form. If God created the single cell as the first life form, then what we see in the animal kingdom today is everything that evolved from that point. If God created lots of different types of life, then all those died out, leaving one which survived and evolved.

It is highly likely from the evidence at hand that only one life form emerged, and this evolved into every organism we see today.

Quote:I wonder what would happen if someone tried to explain evolution in a schoolbook such that it covered the situation where there were multiple initial life forms. Would the governments/courts allow this?
Yes. It's a valid theory, as long as they mentioned the conclusions we can draw form this (i.e. that all life today is related to only one common ancestor, not to several. As I said, whether there was only one or multiple life forms is unknown. The evidence points to one, but it is possible others existed and died out.

Quote:I wonder what would happen if a scientist tried to publish a paper in a scientific journal using such a broad definition of evolution. Would it pass peer review?
What broad definition? That organisms adapt, change, evolve? That isn't a broad definition...that's a simplistic definition. I doubt a scientist would put it in those terms to begin with.

Quote:It would sure eliminate much of the conflict. But I think evolutionary scientists would balk at such a teaching since evolution as it is taught in schools is "common descent", meaning ALL life forms have a common anscestor.
What is taught it what the evidence shows, that all life has a single common ancestor. As I said before, the only way in which there could be multiple common ancestors would be if that ancestor died out very early on, taking all of its descendants with it.

Quote:Would you support teaching evolution in that manner in schools?
That wouldn't be teaching evolution, but rather abiogenesis. The creation of life has nothing to do with the diversity of life. You can hypothesise upon abiogenesis producing multiple organisms, but the theory of evolution as it stands only supports one common descendant. The evidence simply doesn't show any others.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christians, what is your VERY BEST arguments for the existence of God? - by Tiberius - February 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 538 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14215 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2147 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  VERY Basic Doctrines of Calvinism johndoe122931 18 2454 June 7, 2021 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Spiritual realm is very likely real (demonic possession)? Flavius007 23 2056 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9679 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8066 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10926 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2913 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15265 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm