Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The existence of god
The existence of god
I merely wonder what one chooses to decide that this "god" being exists.

My main concern is "is it something that can be shared with someone else in order for the belief to be upheld"?

My next concern is, if someone else agrees with your shared experience, is it due to an actual mutual experience or an immediate need for community?

I want to know how god can exists for some and not for others; my experience is that those who seek with an open mind shall find. With an open mind, I can find anything; even the visible pink unicorn. You don't see it? Guess your faith is not strong enough.

See. That's why the "faith" argument doesn't work.

It can be argued to encompass anything.

Faith is a mere excuse, not a worthy argument. You want an argument for god, try harder.

Faith is not the answer.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The existence of god
This century people are redefining words. Faith is a leap of reflection and certainty is one stage of faith, and then there are levels of certainty.

Like when a teacher explains to you something, when you grasp it, I call that understanding.  When you really really grasp it and apply it and teach to others, it becomes a belief, a firm belief.

The more "faith" you have of it, will be the level of assurance you have of it being true. Certainty is when there is no room of disquiet in that assurance.  The more you trust that grasping of it, the more "faith" you have.

Conjecture never leads to anything but more dependence on conjecture.

Start building through what you know, abstract things if you disagree with details and are confused about details, and then seek to add top only what you know.

Things are easier when you build on what you know then this hope of God not existing and wanting everyone to acknowledge it as rational.
God is an irrelevancy.  Religion is what exists and it is the problem.

[Image: quote-religion-is-an-insult-to-human-dig...277245.jpg]
Faith = not really knowing (that's why you need "faith")
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 1, 2018 at 8:53 pm)Kit Wrote: I merely wonder what one chooses to decide that this "god" being exists.

My main concern is "is it something that can be shared with someone else in order for the belief to be upheld"?

My next concern is, if someone else agrees with your shared experience, is it due to an actual mutual experience or an immediate need for community?

I want to know how god can exists for some and not for others; my experience is that those who seek with an open mind shall find.  With an open mind, I can find anything; even the visible pink unicorn.  You don't see it? Guess your faith is not strong enough.

See.  That's why the "faith" argument doesn't work.

Faith is a mere excuse, not a worthy argument.  You want an argument for god, try harder.

Faith is not the answer.

Humans are superstitious twits.  One of their greatest desires is to live forever.  In order to do that they need an all-powerful deity who will resurrect their souls and give them eternal life in some sort of paradise.  

Con men take advantage of that desire and impose all kinds of rules and taboos on people to get them to conform to what the con men want.  That gives the con men all kinds of power and enables them to become rich.  Moses was a master of that scam.  

Generally speaking if a person isn't interested in eternal life then he has no need for any deity.     Religion does nothing for morals because as long as a person observes the laws of the land he usually stays off the naughty list.  And since he doesn't believe in life after death events in this life is the only thing he has to worry about.
(May 1, 2018 at 8:53 pm)Kit Wrote: I merely wonder what one chooses to decide that this "god" being exists.

I want to know how god can exists for some and not for others; my experience is that those who seek with an open mind shall find.  With an open mind, I can find anything; even the visible pink unicorn.  You don't see it? Guess your faith is not strong enough.

Faith is a mere excuse, not a worthy argument.  You want an argument for god, try harder.

Faith is not the answer.

Faith is always the answer. Have faith in the the pink unicorn and if that faith does not grow and causes you to grow then you have put your faith into something that does not exist. 
Faith is not blind, faith can help lead you to the real answers but only if you are going to accept what you find and form a relationship with what you find. As for the unicorn seems hard to believe anyone could have a relationship with it that was meaningful and life changing, but with the Creator of the universe who says He wants a relationship with you because He is your creator and loves you, then how do you not give it a real try on His terms, He is your creator after all. By the way faith has never been the argument and never will be, but on the other hand it has been used as an excuse for a very long time by those who seek an excuse.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 3, 2018 at 1:36 am)Godscreated Wrote: Faith is always the answer.

Yeah especially when your faith makes you fly an airplane into a building or kill your own child on the top of a mountain.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 3, 2018 at 1:36 am)Godscreated Wrote:

Faith is not the answer.

Faith is always the answer. Have faith in the the pink unicorn and if that faith does not grow and causes you to grow then you have put your faith into something that does not exist. 
Faith is not blind, faith can help lead you to the real answers but only if you are going to accept what you find and form a relationship with what you find. As for the unicorn seems hard to believe anyone could have a relationship with it that was meaningful and life changing, but with the Creator of the universe who says He wants a relationship with you because He is your creator and loves you, then how do you not give it a real try on His terms, He is your creator after all. By the way faith has never been the argument and never will be, but on the other hand it has been used as an excuse for a very long time by those who seek an excuse.

GC

Faith is always the answer? Going by your own beliefs, faith is never the answer, other than when it comes to Christianity. People have faith in plenty of things you don't accept. People claim to have meaningful relationships with fairies that have changed their lives for the better.
Most people are religious by habit, not faith. The ranks of church-goers would be thinned considerably if people stopped and asked themselves "Why the FUCK am I out of bed on Sunday morning?"

Belief is not a matter of choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2132 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism vs. God's Existence sk123 412 56203 May 27, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7449 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3609 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  20 Arguments for God's existence? Foxaèr 17 4135 May 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Telephones Prove God's Existence Mudhammam 9 4147 February 6, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12457 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Debating the existence of Jesus CleanShavenJesus 52 24871 June 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Science explains the existence of God. Greatest I am 1 1527 August 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6705 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad