Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists, are you immune to being decieved?
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved?
(December 2, 2013 at 8:08 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: I did no such thing.

When you keep saying I've admitted that natural laws require a creator, when the entire time I've made no bones about how completely made up my creator scenario was, and that the point I was making was something else entirely, then yes, you are misrepresenting my position.

Quote:That’s correct.

I just wanted you to admit it before I called that on the huge argument from ignorance you just committed. How the hell would you know what is and isn't available in the future?

Quote:There you go being irrational again. Arguing that there is a manner in which “B” can be accounted for consistently by “Position A” but we just have not found it yet is a fallacious argument from ignorance.

Quite the opposite: the argument from ignorance goes "I don't know X, therefore X cannot be true." If I'd said that since Position A hasn't got an answer for B yet, it could never have an answer for B (which seems to be your position) then I would be guilty of an argument from ignorance. Saying that Position A hasn't yet accounted for B, but may do so in future, is specifically avoiding the argument from ignorance.

I swear, every single argument you make is like a complete inversion of reality or logic.

Quote: Couple that with the fact that Position B (a position you vehemently reject) can consistently account for “B” and you have now engaged in adhering to Position A solely upon blind faith.

And as I've mentioned like seven times now, and this was the point of my initial time travel argument that you've been fleeing from at top speed, making shit up to account for something doesn't say anything about its veracity. All you've done is clung to a story of magic that you think explains everything, all the while giving absolutely no mechanism and therefore explaining nothing, and you think that gives your position more credibility: until you can demonstrate that your position is correct, however much it accounts for anything means nothing, because there are dozens of fictional answers that could do the same thing.

Meanwhile, over here, I'm keeping an open mind and waiting for the evidence to come in. You know, the rational view? And yet my position, where I only believe things that are demonstrable, is somehow one that requires blind faith, while yours, where you go for the answer that you want to believe, regardless of evidence, doesn't?

Quote:
No because your attempt at accounting for natural laws was irrational. It committed a category (material/immaterial) error and invoked logical contradictions by asserting that natural laws existed prior to their creation. Christian theism rationally accounts for natural laws.

Except that I answered that by appealing to the future again, and the only response you had was to categorically deny that the technology I require could exist in the future, which is something you can't possibly know. So, aside from a by fiat assertion, you've offered no counter that actually shows the irrationality of my position.

Equally, I could just say that your god is irrational because magic isn't real, but unlike you I recognize that simply asserting bullshit that I want to be true isn't much of an argument. One needs evidence.

Quote:
Nope, because it is illogical.

What a compelling and well thought out response. Rolleyes

Quote:They are.

Do you have any concept of how little credibility your baseless assertions have, here?

Quote:I’ve already given you enough to work with; get to it.

No thanks, unlike you I'd like to work with a full complement of facts. I'll happily run through the problems with the vanilla version of the argument, but I'd rather not be accused of strawmanning whatever version you're using; why not just present your little doodad, so I can tailor my response to that specifically?

Quote:Rationality is not determined by what people think; do you have anything better?

Yes: all the evidence.

Quote:Where did I demand evidence for your claim? I simply pointed out that it was illogical-and that is all that I needed to do.

You made an assertion. That means absolutely nothing. I could do the same, as I've already pointed out; I don't, because "nuh uh!" isn't actually an argument that adults should use. And again, in doing so you still missed the actual point I was making... Thinking

Quote:
Here is your logic using your same analogy…

A: “Where do hotdogs come from?”
B: “People make them.”
A: “How do people make them?”
B: “I do not know; I have never been to the plant.”
A: “Well, why don't we go and find out?”
B: "No, they must have been made by magic."
A: "What?
B: "Magic."
A: "But magic doesn't exist, as far as we know."
B: "Hotdogs are made by magic. Anything else is illogical. Without magic, you can't make any meat. "
A: "You just said you hadn't been to the factory."
B: "Magic accounts for how hotdogs are made. You can't account for that, and therefore I'm right."
A: “Huh?”

Fixed that for ya.

Quote:
No, I am perfectly content with the correct answer. God created the laws of nature.

Just asserting your answer is correct doesn't make it so. Can you stop with this petty bullshit?

Quote:
A space wizard? I think you are getting your conversations confused. I am somewhat amused that you cannot see the flaw in your own position. You have no idea where the laws of nature came from or what is governing them but you are sure that they have never been different in the past nor will they ever be different in the future. How absurd is that? At least I have a reason for believing they can change in very isolated instances but will generally remain regular; you have no reason for believing they even exist in the first place let alone that they have and will remain regular.

And your made up reason isn't correct just because you decided to say it is. Besides, there's another argument from ignorance here, which is that you've no way of knowing whether the laws of nature will stay the same in every circumstance. You're just asserting it.

I love how your every position is based on ignorance.

Quote:So you cannot do it rationally? That’s all I needed to know.

So you can't refute me without an argument from ignorance? That's all I needed to know.

Quote:
What ensures that natural laws remain that way throughout time? What is Floontrium made of? You said it was material.

Floontium is made of Floontium, Stat. Try to keep up. And Floontium ensures the natural laws remain stable over time, because so far, there has always been Floontium.

Quote:You’re the one invoking arguments from ignorance. “I do not know where laws of nature come from but I know that there is a natural explanation that we just have not found yet for them.” You’re caught in a dilemma, you either have to postulate an explanation for the laws of nature that is really only Yahweh by a different name, or you have to admit that the existence of natural immaterial laws is utterly incompatible with your view of reality and relinquish appealing to them (thus rendering all science impossible).

You don't actually know what an argument from ignorance is, do you Stat? You're engaging in an argument from ignorance, about arguments from ignorance. Confused Fall
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 18, 2013 at 6:08 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Violet - December 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by feeling - December 3, 2013 at 9:42 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - December 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by MitchBenn - November 20, 2013 at 9:40 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 20, 2013 at 11:08 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - November 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - November 18, 2013 at 11:41 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - November 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - November 19, 2013 at 10:19 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Godschild - November 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - November 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Zazzy - November 19, 2013 at 10:48 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 20, 2013 at 1:02 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 20, 2013 at 2:10 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - November 19, 2013 at 9:30 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 20, 2013 at 7:59 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 20, 2013 at 9:43 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 21, 2013 at 1:44 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 22, 2013 at 10:40 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Bad Wolf - November 26, 2013 at 6:33 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 27, 2013 at 6:00 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 27, 2013 at 7:56 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - November 28, 2013 at 12:38 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 2, 2013 at 9:39 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Nineteen - November 27, 2013 at 8:56 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - November 27, 2013 at 8:07 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 2, 2013 at 11:48 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 3, 2013 at 2:02 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Bad Wolf - December 3, 2013 at 8:30 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Bad Wolf - December 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Zazzy - December 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - December 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Zazzy - December 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Foxaèr - December 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Zazzy - December 3, 2013 at 9:30 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Zazzy - December 4, 2013 at 8:45 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Bad Wolf - December 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Lion IRC - December 4, 2013 at 1:55 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Bad Wolf - December 4, 2013 at 11:22 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Medi - December 14, 2013 at 1:46 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - December 18, 2013 at 6:19 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by feeling - December 18, 2013 at 6:32 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 19, 2013 at 2:09 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Angrboda - December 19, 2013 at 4:17 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by feeling - December 19, 2013 at 11:33 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Esquilax - December 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - December 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Tonus - December 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Violet - December 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Violet - December 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Violet - December 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Angrboda - December 20, 2013 at 12:02 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - December 24, 2013 at 8:39 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Angrboda - December 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - December 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - December 27, 2013 at 8:38 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Angrboda - December 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by LastPoet - December 26, 2013 at 6:55 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Mystical - December 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Tonus - December 27, 2013 at 7:59 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Mystical - December 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by pocaracas - December 28, 2013 at 6:35 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Mystical - January 18, 2014 at 8:54 am
RE: Theists, are you immune to being decieved? - by Fruity - February 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42677 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17997 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7617 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 14732 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17113 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7885 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 106731 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 19127 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why are you Against Homosexuality (to theists) ScienceAf 107 17372 September 2, 2016 at 2:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4203 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU