Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most important reason I'm xtian
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian
(December 3, 2013 at 5:35 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(December 3, 2013 at 4:18 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: However, aside from the sniping, there is half of a valid point here. Mr Spock here speaks of being consistently analytical. How far is this a good thing? I mean clearly there are times when being analytical is appropriate (science, medicine etc), and times when it gets in the way (sex drugs and rock and roll).

Perhaps not everywhere, but in terms of existential claims, wherein there's a definite, objectively true answer? Like, say... the existence of a god? Analysis is definitely good there, especially when the specific claim asks so much of you in return for believing it.

Jacob, if the pronouncements of christianity have helped you, if you like them, then that's great; I'd point out that those things can stick with you irrespective of your actual christianity. You don't need the big guy upstairs commanding you to obey them, nor should you: you're a goddamn adult, and as far as I can tell, one with his head firmly screwed onto his shoulders in all but this one single issue. Why not just keep the good aspects that you enjoy, and shuck the rest? We atheists do it every day: the good parts don't belong to christianity anyway, they've just been co-opted.

Because the only rational way to approach the question of religion, which has a very specific, objectively true or false claim at its heart, has nothing to do with how it makes you feel, simply because if the existential claim isn't true then those feelings have and will continue to come from you. If the claim is true, if there is a god, then those things are, at least in part, contributed by divine source, I'll freely grant that, but the only way to get to that point is to determine the existence of the god first, rather than making assumptions.

Now, you've mentioned being born again, and having a religious experience, which might provide more justification than you've currently given, but even that would require some serious investigation.
No, I think that the conversion experience provides no particular justification. There is nothing there which I could not explain with psychology. "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate", no need to seek a more complex explanation unless necessary. And that's sort of the point. The more complex explanation, that those feelings are more than me communicating with my Id, IS necessary (or at least helpful)... But only to me. You spoke of a specific claim, I don't make any such claim in the broader, existential sense. I'm not saying that God is real, merely that it helps me to believe that he's real.

Now you say that I can have all of that without Christianity... And you may be correct. I noted with keen interest the poll on whether people are happier as atheists than as Christians. It's possible that were I to shuck religion I would still be as content... But why bother? At present it seems to be working well for me. I can't see how atheism would provide better circumstances, and they might prove worse. You ask why not keep the good bits and shuck the rest, in return I would ask why shuck anything?

A few people in this thread have spoken of religion in terms of it being a burden. I really don't see it that way. To me it's a positive thing.

Quote: Christian faith is an outward force, and by that I mean it is measured not in deeds, but in faith and the evidence for it, the expression of it, the intent and the temporal results of the faith - the gifts of the Spirit - walking in faith.Ask not what the Christian faith can do for you ie "self-help"/"prosperity-gospel" etc. ask what you can do for the good of the Christian faith, for the good of your neighbour, your community, your God. This is all broken back down to what I think you'll have to accept as a "red letter":"

Interesting response. You're entirely correct insofar as that my faith in an inward looking and selfish thing. I mean of course it informs my world view and that affects how I interact with those around me, but that remains my faith looking in and myself looking out.

I don't know that I'd agree that the red letters you quoted translates to ask not what your church can do for you etc. I have a somewhat different perspective on that scripture, with which I Shan't bore our atheist friends.

And I'm militantly indifferent as to whether I can be called a Protestant, an Anglican, or any other religious faction Wink. It makes no difference to me.

But for what it's worth, I did serve a two year term on my local churches parochial parish council before leaving in disgust after upsetting almost everyone else there. Don't know if that counts.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code

Messages In This Thread
The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 12:37 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by freedomfromforum - December 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Kayenneh - December 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by LastPoet - December 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 6:46 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by ronedee - December 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by ronedee - December 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Chas - December 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Chas - December 2, 2013 at 7:15 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 4:18 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Esquilax - December 3, 2013 at 5:35 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 6:54 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Esquilax - December 3, 2013 at 7:16 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 11:00 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Aractus - December 3, 2013 at 9:31 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Simon Moon - December 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Simon Moon - December 3, 2013 at 7:38 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Zazzy - December 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Tonus - December 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Brian37 - December 2, 2013 at 6:14 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 7:23 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Aractus - December 3, 2013 at 6:01 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Chas - December 3, 2013 at 11:50 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by tokutter - December 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Aractus - December 4, 2013 at 2:44 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 3, 2013 at 6:41 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Brian37 - December 3, 2013 at 7:23 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 7:34 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 7:46 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Brian37 - December 3, 2013 at 9:13 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 7:40 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Ryantology - December 3, 2013 at 7:44 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 7:58 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 8:25 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by max-greece - December 3, 2013 at 5:54 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Bad Writer - December 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 4, 2013 at 2:48 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by houseofcantor - December 4, 2013 at 8:46 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 5, 2013 at 7:37 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by WesOlsen - December 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by ThomM - December 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 11, 2013 at 6:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 37452 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 890 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4879 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2715 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15732 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is there room for a xtian section in an atheist forum? Bow Before Zeus 70 10137 December 6, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6271 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist drfuzzy 30 7979 September 22, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Here's A Xtian I'll Tip My Hat To Minimalist 0 854 April 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
  I'm Tired of Xtian Shits With Their Silly Fairy Tales. Minimalist 2 1110 March 9, 2017 at 10:09 pm