Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most important reason I'm xtian
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian
(December 3, 2013 at 6:54 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Interesting response. You're entirely correct insofar as that my faith in an inward looking and selfish thing. I mean of course it informs my world view and that affects how I interact with those around me, but that remains my faith looking in and myself looking out.

I don't know that I'd agree that the red letters you quoted translates to ask not what your church can do for you etc. I have a somewhat different perspective on that scripture, with which I Shan't bore our atheist friends.

And I'm militantly indifferent as to whether I can be called a Protestant, an Anglican, or any other religious faction Wink. It makes no difference to me.
Were not the Scribes and Pharisees that Jesus confronted, as well as his other Jewish contemporaries, inward-looking and judging others by their faith?

So too the Roman Catholic Church had become absorbed with this way of thinking. I don't expect you to appreciate the reformation, or even recognize it, since as you say you are neither Catholic nor Protestant and don't identify with either camp.

The Counter Reformation by the Catholics began in Council of Trent in 1545. The Catholics had ideals that they wanted to claim as their own. This is why when you talk to Catholics they think they "own" everything in their church history going all the way back to Pope Peter I!

Protestants were actually invited to sit in the council and take part in the discussion, on the understanding that they would have no vote; this is a clear seizure of power undertaken by the RCC by stating that none of their heresies could be challenged by those present, since doing so would result in ex-communication for Catholics, and anyone else was excluded from voting anyway. This was their delusion that the Church had all authority over deciding what was and is and should be elements of the Christian faith.

A combination of this came together with their bizarre reasoning that the Latin Vulgate is holy and inspired scripture. This is akin to those today who are part of the KJO-movement, it's completely irrational, except when you consider that the RCC 1. wanted to take ownership of the entire history of the Christian church, even if it no longer resembled it, to claim it as their "sacred tradition" and 2. wanted to be the sole authority to interpret scripture and divulge its meaning, and this is akin to the Watchtower today.

It was also their way of pissing on the grave of Tyndale, who they had martyred a decade earlier, and they were madly burning all the copies of his Bible they could find. Bible-possession by the laity - especially "unauthorised" Bible - was strictly banned. The roots for this go back at least as far as 1229, when it was officially decreed that the laity were banned from possessing the Bible: "We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books." (Council of Toulouse). The Bibles were smuggled among the faithful, who were persecuted for defying the church. Persecution that the RCC believe was theirs to divinely administer, and they were all too happy to do so.

Think about this, 11 million people were killed in the holocaust - including 6 million Jews. But, at the time of the reformation about 50,000,000 Christians were martyred by the RCC.

Catholics are taught that this number is closer to 200,000 – and that’s what they repeat. They have no idea how offensive it is to deny the past, and to deny all the evidence that the 50,000,000 figure is based on (many contemporary reports, contemporary calculations, negative population growth in protestant regions, etc). It is honestly as dumb, naïve and ignorant as denying the holocaust – of course the 50 million figure is up for debate, it is only an estimate – but it’s one base on facts, and the point is that 10’s of millions of Christians were persecuted and killed for their beliefs under direction of the Roman Catholic Church. And whether it's 70 million or just 30 million, it still totally eclipses the persecution under Nazi Germany.
Quote: But for what it's worth, I did serve a two year term on my local churches parochial parish council before leaving in disgust after upsetting almost everyone else there. Don't know if that counts.
No it doesn’t count. That’s not serving. That’s “serving yourselves”, internal work of a church is simply self-serving inward and unconstructive in terms of Evangelism or Ministry or Witnessing, etc. It would count if you spent two years running a soup kitchen, volunteering a rape crisis centre, housing the homeless, doing the work for the community that the community needs, supporting those in need, empowering them, helping people overcome addictions like gambling, etc. The homless person living on a park bench doesn’t care how many people volunteer in the parish council, the single mother with no money to put food on the table for her hungry children doesn’t care either.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Messages In This Thread
The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 12:37 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by freedomfromforum - December 2, 2013 at 12:47 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 2, 2013 at 5:53 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 1:22 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Kayenneh - December 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by LastPoet - December 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 6:46 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by ronedee - December 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by ronedee - December 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Chas - December 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Chas - December 2, 2013 at 7:15 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 4:18 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Esquilax - December 3, 2013 at 5:35 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 6:54 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Esquilax - December 3, 2013 at 7:16 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 11:00 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Aractus - December 3, 2013 at 9:31 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Simon Moon - December 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Simon Moon - December 3, 2013 at 7:38 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 10:38 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Zazzy - December 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Tonus - December 5, 2013 at 4:44 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Brian37 - December 2, 2013 at 6:14 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Minimalist - December 2, 2013 at 7:23 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Aractus - December 3, 2013 at 6:01 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Chas - December 3, 2013 at 11:50 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by tokutter - December 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Aractus - December 4, 2013 at 2:44 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 3, 2013 at 6:41 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Brian37 - December 3, 2013 at 7:23 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 7:34 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 7:46 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Brian37 - December 3, 2013 at 9:13 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 7:40 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Ryantology - December 3, 2013 at 7:44 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 7:58 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Whateverist - December 3, 2013 at 8:25 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 3, 2013 at 4:43 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by max-greece - December 3, 2013 at 5:54 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Bad Writer - December 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 4, 2013 at 2:48 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by houseofcantor - December 4, 2013 at 8:46 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Lion IRC - December 5, 2013 at 7:37 am
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by WesOlsen - December 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by ThomM - December 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm
RE: The most important reason I'm xtian - by Jacob(smooth) - December 11, 2013 at 6:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Are Questions About God Important? Confused-by-christianity 621 38022 December 9, 2023 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 895 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4901 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2738 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15808 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is there room for a xtian section in an atheist forum? Bow Before Zeus 70 10171 December 6, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6282 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist drfuzzy 30 8009 September 22, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Here's A Xtian I'll Tip My Hat To Minimalist 0 855 April 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
  I'm Tired of Xtian Shits With Their Silly Fairy Tales. Minimalist 2 1115 March 9, 2017 at 10:09 pm