Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Determinism, Free Will, and A Thought Experiment
RE: Determinism, Free Will, and A Thought Experiment

A few observations. First, I find Craig's objection persuasive, or would, if I believed in such things. In your first thought experiment, I would suggest that Robert and his will are both functions of his brain chemistry, so in order to speak as if these things were capable of acting independently encounters serious mereological difficulties. (The kind compatibilists keep trying to solve by fiat.) Second, I'm unfamiliar with the properties of causal determinacy which apply to a god and its will. As a Hindu, I'm likely to come to very different conceptions than those of a Christian, and those of a Kaballah Jew. Ultimately, I simply have no way of knowing anything really definitely. As I've thought about the Semitic god over the last year or so, I am inclined that, in order for the accounts to be consistent, then he must be essentially a single will, unfolding itself through time; he is not an agent in the classical sense, because he takes only one action, and he is never not that action. Beyond that, since god is commonly postulated as uncaused, it's unclear what it would mean to say that he is determined. Determined by what? He's uncaused. His will isn't determined by anything outside himself; if any being is a candidate for a meaningful compatibilist position, it's Him, as he is the alpha and omega of all his acts.

Oh, forgot one point. You say that Robert/Him is capable of A or not-A, but the ability to do not-A has no bearing on his ability to choose A. You see them as exclusive because you've put them in logical opposition. It would appear a truism that the fact that I can't fly doesn't preclude me from choosing chocolate ice cream, even if you were to put me in a context in which I could only do one or the other. God's will doesn't need to be free to do any and all acts, only that it be free to choose among some alternatives in any given situation. There are many things we can't choose. Suppose, for whatever reason, that we cannot possibly do not-A. Our freedom is still preserved if there is an alternative to A that is not the hypothetical not-A. If we can choose either A or B, our inability to choose not-A does not make us not free.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Determinism, Free Will, and A Thought Experiment - by Angrboda - January 10, 2014 at 3:06 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1968 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Determinism vs Education Foxaèr 17 1277 October 14, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Thought experiement# 117. The measure of man. ignoramus 12 1071 January 31, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism? mcc1789 44 5739 June 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 1008 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Thought police? ignoramus 51 6975 April 6, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4322 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  WLC, Free Will, and God's divine foreknowledge SuperSentient 15 2788 April 1, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4738 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  The Definitive Post On The Free Will v. Determinism Debate BrianSoddingBoru4 17 3376 September 3, 2016 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue