Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 1:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 23, 2014 at 9:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I would say look no further than Jesus of Nazareth for your evidence.

I can't find any one of that name or description in HISTORY. I don't give a shit about your bible.

Really? That is weird.... I can. Nor do I have to read the Bible to do so.

Be that as it may....

Do you know who Tiberius Caesar was?

(February 24, 2014 at 3:40 am)max-greece Wrote:
Quote:The Bible never states this and even if it did, you fail to take into account that God has never ceased revealing Himself to them that seek Him.

That is why according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, in 2010 there were 2.18 billion Christians around the world, nearly a third of the global population.

So much for Him only revealing Himself to one group of people!

Nice manipulation of the numbers there.

Accepting your number of 2.18 billion Christians it should be noted that these are divided up amongst 41,000 denominations - most of whom claim to be the one true path. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chr...ominations)

If these are the people that God has communicated his message to - how has it gone so badly wrong? Why has the almighty. all-knowing God made such a mess of his communications?

At the same time - how reliable is that figure of 2.18 billion? Who keeps the records? Who updates them? If a Catholic becomes an atheist does the church reduce their number by 1?

I'm guessing its on birth records - in which case we have very little idea of how many of those adherents stick with their faith.

I'd also how question how much double counting goes on. Mr. Smith is born a Catholic, changes to Lutheran, marries and then changes again to JW. What is the betting there are 3 Mr. Smiths listed?

Gone so badly wrong? Stating that there are denominations within Christianity is one thing, to which I would agree, and then using that as an argument that things have "gone so badly wrong" is another. That is a non-sequitur logical fallacy.

With regards to your misgivings about the survey, you will have to contact those who conducted the survey and speak with them.

(February 23, 2014 at 9:36 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Any passage that says that people have an innate knowledge of god was either talking about the belief in gods in just about every culture, or was just flat out lying. It's pretty easy to tell it's not true by going around to places that haven't heard of christianity and ask them if they believe in someone who matches Yahweh's description.

Also if you're going to study Jesus' presumed life in the bible, you might as well look at the other figures that led similar lives in other mythologies. Pick which one suits your fancy best.

How many people have you spoken with that have never heard of Christianity?

There is information regarding the historical Jesus of Nazareth that I can glean from other resources outside of the Bible. Many of these extra-biblical resources are even secular in nature.

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by discipulus - February 24, 2014 at 6:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 7008 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44926 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1750 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1273 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 38543 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 35116 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5228 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4869 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15093 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5853 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato