Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Hell or Prison the best cure for immorality?
RE: Is Hell or Prison the best cure for immorality?
(March 20, 2014 at 1:35 am)Shaykh al-Kabir Shair Abdulrab Wrote: All religions as of now have at least some concept of divine punishment for immorality and it seems to me that this has worked to a varying degree all until mankind stopped believing in hell. Although there are the religious wars and what not. But on the small scale level it seems to have done something.

Is a just hell better than a just prison?

Couple things: one, if we're talking about a just hell, we can't be talking about any of the religious ones, because an eternity of any kind of punishment isn't just, nor can it be a cure for anything- as you allude to in your thread title- because it's clearly not there to get anyone better. It's there as retribution for not staying in line.

Secondly, does a punishment devised by an entity that assumes power for itself without ever having to earn it, who excludes the possibility of ever being recused or losing any of that power no matter its abuses, who requires no consent in order to govern you, and assumes a worldwide jurisdiction independent of any kind of legal checks and balances, sound just to you? If any person did it, you'd consider that an unacceptable dictatorship; why does whatever form of god get a free pass?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Hell or Prison the best cure for immorality? - by Esquilax - March 20, 2014 at 10:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12128 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Technology and immorality vs religion and mortality dyresand 10 4579 June 28, 2015 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief Mudhammam 66 8950 April 22, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  From what I've heard, Heaven sounds like a prison. Jax 31 22394 April 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Emporion
  Should Religion be taught in Prison? Welsh cake 22 5550 October 7, 2010 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Skipper