Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will.
RE: The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will.
(April 30, 2014 at 6:53 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: @Esquilax

While interesting, the examples you, Esq., provide (the misfired gun & flaccid rapist) are not enough by themselves to validate the premise that an all-knowing, beneficent, and all-powerful god could actually create a perfect world (whatever that means) And your idea of a perfect world seems vague and not particularly well thought out. The potential rape victim is spared, but what happens to the frustrated rapist. Being thwarted and frustrated, even from a wicked desire, is also a form of suffering. To remove all frustration means preventing people from desiring what they cannot have without causing harm to themselves and others. So let’s see where that line of reasoning leads…

You have, unfortunately, strayed quite far out from the bounds of my initial argument, here. I'm not discussing a perfect world, just the fact that god could easily make marked improvements to the one that we currently live in, and that the christian standard response to this, that it would violate free will, is nonsensical.

As it stands I'm not terribly worried about the frustrations of the rapist, any more than I would be worried about the injuries a criminal incurs while fleeing from the police, and for the same reason; they wouldn't be feeling that way if they weren't doing something they weren't supposed to do in the first place. Their suffering, such as it is, is entirely their own making, and as such they are hardly innocent victims, as the raped person or murder victim would be.

I don't think a perfect world, for every person, at all times, is possible without violating free will because some people are psychopaths who would find the suffering of others to be a part of their perfect world. But one who had the powers of a god could make a markedly better world without violating free will, certainly.

Quote:Making people incapable of considering arson or robbery does not eliminate all potential harm and subsequent suffering. The ignorant and inattentive can cause damage without harmful intent. A grease fire can start while the cook is distracted by a co-worker. People can build houses without knowing they sit on a fault line. In order to prevent all potential harm, humans would need to be fully aware of all potential the consequences of their actions, including the actions of other humans. This creates a problem: all knowledge is limited to what can be known. Since the future does not yet exist, it cannot be known. No one, not even a god that can know everything that it is possible to know, can exactly predict all the outcomes of one’s actions. As such, the actions of free agents may inadvertently bring about harm and suffering, absent moral accountability.

But there's a difference between "suffering" and "human produced suffering," the latter of which being what the problem of evil seeks to address, and the free will argument seeks to excuse. It'd just be a bizarre argument if someone asserted that the reason god lets accidental fires start is because he doesn't want to violate free will; the fire wasn't a conscious action and therefore the decision-making processes of the person involved aren't violated, since no doubt they would prefer that the fire not start at all.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will. - by Esquilax - April 30, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1921 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8165 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4176 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I don't understand what my mom believes Der/die AtheistIn 11 3108 January 14, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1121 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31742 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  help me understand this OT and NT stuff Sara0229 35 8439 January 1, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Help Me Understand Shuffle 124 25404 November 9, 2015 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  Help Me Understand, part duex Simon Moon 85 13515 September 28, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Don't Understand The Appeal Of Christianity To People Imaginos7 30 7908 September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Lek