Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
(July 25, 2014 at 9:18 am)whateverist Wrote:
(July 25, 2014 at 9:12 am)bennyboy Wrote: I'm saying that personal consciousness is only possible if the framework accomodates it. You couldn't have a purely mechanical universe which also had consciousness-- unless the capacity for consciousness is already intrinsic to the framework.

But couldn't consciousness arise from purely mechanical processes?
Only if consciousness is already intrinsic, at least as a potential outcome, of the mechanical framework. If you're doing math, a rainbow doesn't magically pop out of your paper, because the math framework and the physical framework of your paper don't have that capacity.

Before you say I'm claiming God, keep in mind that ALL properties exist only because our framework has the capacity for them.

(July 25, 2014 at 9:18 am)whateverist Wrote: If so, the natural/mechanical framework certainly supports consciousness.
Yes, but here's my problem: the mechanical framework is DEFINED by us as acting deterministically and having certain inaliable properties: conservation of energy, the balance of the 4 basic forces, etc. Consciousness isn't included in this definition, so we are trying to force consciousness INTO that definition by redefining it AS a mechanical framework.

Nature obviously includes consciousness. But I don't think our definition of the natural universe as a mechanical system sufficiently encapsulates or explains the capacity for consciousness. (by which I mean the existence of qualia, not the ability of complex systems to interact with their environment)

Quote:The only existence of which we are aware contains both subjective realities and objective realities. I don't see why they can't overlap as they certainly seem to.
Absolutely.

(July 26, 2014 at 8:43 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I think morality primarily is based on value (worth), fairness and empathy. All these can be explained by evolution to being here, but the problem is, would the reason of value and worth be true or false, if God is not there. Would our feelings of right and wrong be true if God is not there. It's not a matter if whether having these feelings can be accounted for by evolution without God, it's having them while knowing they are genuinely correct, without God, that is the problem I have.
I disagree. First, subjective feelings can be taken as intrinsically right, without God. If most people think murder is great, then murder is great. It happens that due to evolution, most people do NOT think murder is great. No objective moral source is required.

To me, the best place to look for God is the entry point of consciousness. Why does the universe have the capacity for experience to exist at all? I'd argue that consciousness is INTRINSIC to the universe, and that if it arose out of something, that source is likely to be at least partly conscious, as well. To frame it in a moral sense-- while our specific mores are evolved, the capacity for people to experience mores cannot ultimately be evolved unless the framework of the universe has the capacity for a system to have a moral sense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.) - by bennyboy - July 26, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2130 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10815 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 39659 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1379 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8410 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3618 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4535 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 3022 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 7146 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 11129 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm