Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.)
(August 3, 2014 at 10:51 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm)whateverist Wrote: Why word it like that? Of course the capacity for subjective experience is in the universe. Where else could it be.
It could be nonexistent, and that it is not is significant.

I don't know that it could be otherwise, though I assume the capacity for communicating ideas about subjective experiences did not exist on this planet until (to be safe) about 5 million years ago. I would still think that subjective experience was wide spread on the planet in lots of organisms long before that. But even before the first forms of life arose I would think the potential for life and subjective experience existed in potential just as the potential for rust to form on iron existed before an earlier generation of giant stars ever cooked any iron up. What we know now feeds back on our knowledge of what was possible in potential before the necessary conditions existed.

(August 3, 2014 at 10:51 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
Quote:It also suggests that it does not owe its existence to the necessary conditions of the physical world
The intended implication is that since qualia are part of the natural world, there's no "special sauce." And since qualia are incidental to our mechanical understanding of the natural world, that mechanical understanding is insufficient in a very important way.

Of course there is a difference between understanding that qualia exist and therefore are supported by an adequate theory of everything on the one hand, and on the other hand, being able to actually explain everything that exists in terms of the theory we currently have. I'm not sure how many people believe the theories we currently have are entirely adequate. Of course, I do sometimes encounter on these very forums a kind of naive expectation that science can do just that or, where it can't, will be able to shortly. My own intuition is that the everything we would hope to understand will always exceed our reach.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If beauty doesn't require God, why should morality? (Bite me Dr. Craig.) - by Whateverist - August 4, 2014 at 8:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2134 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10822 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 39689 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1379 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8418 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3621 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4535 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 3022 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 7150 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 11130 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm