Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 9:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Truth Test or Knock on no Doors of Delusion
RE: The Truth Test or Knock on no Doors of Delusion
(August 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Lamborn's book doesn't spend much time on the crazy. He's interested in three things: contradictions with the real world; the negative affect that Mormonism has on families; the secretiveness and deceptions of the church authorities.

Leaving the Saints didn't focus on the crazy beliefs much, it was more the first-person account of how the author deconverted and her experiences because she is the daughter of a very well known Mormon *cough* scholar *cough cough* :p Phone taps, threatening phone calls, threats to her job, confronting family about certain circumstances, etc.

I've found that I don't especially care for books on "How [so-and-so] became an atheist" but I love reading ones about people deconverting from their religions. Perhaps because it's so foreign to me to be that invested in a belief that it's life-altering to step away from it. Thinking
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Truth Test or Knock on no Doors of Delusion - by Clueless Morgan - August 11, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  truth about game theory, bad or good for the world? Quill01 13 2314 August 21, 2021 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "The Truth About Cancer" BlackBird 24 7916 October 19, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Psychics fail test zebo-the-fat 11 3320 October 31, 2012 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Hocus-pocus allergy test The Omnissiunt One 2 1872 December 11, 2010 at 9:04 am
Last Post: theVOID