Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care?
RE: Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care?
The funny thing is that this comes from a Christian website:

Quote:God Will Save Me

A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”

And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”

They seem to miss the inference that divine action is entirely identical to the normal actions of ordinary folks ... i.e. god(s) need not apply.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? - by ShaMan - August 15, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? - by Thumpalumpacus - August 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm
RE: Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? - by Tonus - August 16, 2014 at 11:00 am
RE: Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? - by Zack - August 17, 2014 at 3:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 39084 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 5811 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 6228 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 8217 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 11549 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3669 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 10035 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1151 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 6020 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6293 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay