Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 10:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I saw this (non religious) video on Facebook and it made me angry
RE: I saw this (non religious) video on Facebook and it made me angry
[/quote]Have you ever sat on a real jury before?
Quote:Twice. Once for fraud, once for attempted murder.
When profiling cops rarly have the perspective of back ground info. At a real trial (not the tv kind) the state actually provides evidence to a person's guilt, and the defense provides an excuse or evidence to the contrary.
Quote:With you so far.
(Very methodical very complete, beyond a shadow of a doubt)
Quote:Wrong. The standard is beyond a reasonable doubt.
Again in this country profiling ends with evidence..
Quote:That would be wonderful if it were true. Again, are you seriously maintaining that no one has EVER been convicted wrongly, based on skin colour or some other equally irrelevant factor, evidence notwithstanding?
(It ironic that I of all people am using the evidence arguement to beat back emotion based arguements.)[quote]

I don't presume to speak for the other posters here, but I am not making an emotion-based argument. I agree with you to the extent that the majority of jurors do their best to reach an unbiased verdict based on the evidence and arguments presented to them.

But your insinuation that juries never bring back guilty verdicts irrespective of the evidence before them simply beggars belief (to be fair, I've also no doubt that some people have been acquitted due to their skin colour, evidence aside).

You seem to want to ascribe to juries and magistrates a nobility of spirit and an impartiality that, while laudable when it exists, is by no means universal.

Boru

addendum: I fucked up the quote tags and can't be arsed to fix them.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: I saw this (non religious) video on Facebook and it made me angry - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 28, 2014 at 4:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You lost, and everybody saw it, I'll beat you forever WinterHold 3 656 October 20, 2023 at 5:07 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Looking for a video about god (?) and the sixth sense movie Whoobodoobooo 5 817 May 21, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The next site to supposedly replace Facebook Foxaèr 3 448 September 23, 2018 at 9:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  Question About Video Size And Quality Edwardo Piet 7 1304 April 22, 2018 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your favorite non-music video? rado84 11 2600 August 4, 2016 at 7:11 am
Last Post: rado84
  NON sEQUITUR 1-3-16 Minimalist 0 502 January 3, 2016 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Facebook page full of useful memes popeyespappy 3 1063 November 18, 2015 at 5:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This story is being shared on Facebook, et al Easy Guns 27 4901 November 12, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Non Sequitur 3-13-15 Minimalist 0 604 March 13, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Facebook or Prayer? Forsaken 7 1975 December 19, 2014 at 4:22 am
Last Post: robvalue