Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 2:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drugs: A moral decision, a matter of choice, or a national health risk?
RE: Drugs: A moral decision, a matter of choice, or a national health risk?
(September 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't know about complete legalization. However, putting addicts in prison for simple possession is a disservice to society. From that angle, we sought to treat addiction as a public health issue rather than a legal one.

I am definitely in favor of full legalization of cannabis - and live where it happens to be so. It remains to be seen what happens in the long term, but so far, it does not appear to negatively impact society.

I think that putting addicts in prison is wrong. We should prosecute the people who sell the drugs. The people who are addicted to them should be sent to rehabilitation clinics. I think that to a degree, there has to be punishment as a deterrent for some things. If someone committed a crime and you sent them on a retreat, everyone would commit crimes. So that may be the purpose for deterring people from committing crimes. I personally don't go out and try to find a weed dealer because I don't want to get arrested by a NARC or something and ruin my life with a criminal record.

I have a councillor that used to work as a prison councillor. She said that there's some prisons that try to teach the guards empathy that deal with the prisons because prison is really just one big mental institution. The problem specifically with addicts is that they need the drugs in order to prevent withdraw. So the fact that we criminalize these people seems wrong to me. Perhaps we should pink slip them to rehabilitation institutions instead of prison. Trust me, mental health institutions are not fun what so ever. I even heard some people say that it's worse than prison when I was in one. If it benefits the person in a more positive way than prison does then perhaps rehabilitation would be a better alternative than prison.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drugs: A moral decision, a matter of choice, or a national health risk? - by MusicLovingAtheist - September 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1105 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The hearings and a matter of law. Brian37 0 229 June 29, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3223 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] The Mental Health Crisis T.J. 14 1314 December 1, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does the US need a national hymm? brewer 11 644 February 3, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  The Moral Obligation to Choose the Lesser Evil DeistPaladin 79 5920 September 25, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 2189 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Black lives matter WinterHold 49 3554 June 10, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Vote Blue, no matter who Foxaèr 45 3134 February 9, 2020 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Prime Time
  Vote Blue No Matter Who! Foxaèr 18 1451 June 30, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda