Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God
RE: Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God
(October 15, 2014 at 8:00 pm)bennyboy Wrote: That being said, my argument with you isn't about the merits of theism-- only about whether all ideas need to be supported by empirical evidence. In my opinion, many do not, in particular philosophical questions where we not only don't have the means to make empirical observations, but have no reason to think we ever will.
Then we have no knowledge of such a thing. Full stop. No amount of "pure argument" will change that. Being unable to determine whether or not an argument is sound does not excuse that argument from the requirement.

Quote:My point is that if we can acknowledge we're talking about a context that reaches beyond our normal frame of reference, appeals to evidence come with a caveat: that the person making the appeal also shares some burden-- of showing that evidence means anything in the context being talked about.
There's no point in appealing to logic in that context either. Demonstrate that it applies, and then demonstrate that it's useful without any way of determining that it is sound.

Quote:I think that logical extension of philosophical ideas used in our everyday context can and should be used to generate philosophical ideas for other contexts (again, like cosmogony).
Why? You want to throw empiricism out based out context but retain logic? LOL...of course you do.....Because what you're about to -propose- is silly. It's not silly to ask for evidence of some mind that created this place. Or why you think that like creates like applies (and aren't you appealing to empiricism now.....). You're trying to cut off one of logics legs because it's giving you shit relative to some claim you'd like to call reasonable - but I don't think that you can actually do so....because you're still going to invoke that leg in any argument you make. Logic is now and has always been an exercise in evidence and the relationships between things in evidence in the first place. It's how the universe appears to behave, it's descriptive - and this will invariably be based in some empirical claim.

It bothers me that I even have to say this.....but you're calling a gap argument reasonable........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God - by The Grand Nudger - October 16, 2014 at 9:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 803 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 21336 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1842 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 7089 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6568 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3001 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8306 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14125 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 14027 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43032 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist