Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 1:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Lane Craig continues to desperately defend the indefensible.
RE: William Lane Craig continues to desperately defend the indefensible.
(February 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm)YGninja Wrote: Do you just misrepresent habitually or intentionally?
"things have a cause, and the only cause for all things is god," I think you'll find, that doesn't even constitute an argument. Atleast try and represent honestly.

"everything which begins to exist has a cause, God is the most likely explanation for the cause of the universe, due to reason X, Y, and Z."

Except that's not the Kalam argument that Craig favors. The normally accepted formulation of Kalam is:

1. Everything which begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause.

That Craig goes on to assert what that cause "must" be does not alter the fact that the argument is little more than a series of assertions without support. I've addressed Kalam numerous times on these boards, in any iteration that you theists desire to use; quite rightly, I find it ridiculous. The fact that I went on to reduce it to its basic absurdity is for humorous effect; when one strips away all of Craig's obfuscatory language, that is what you're left with. It's not a misrepresentation, it's mockery. Do get it right.

Quote:"I'm going to believe in god no matter what you say!"
Like, where did you even get this from? Stop.... lying. Just stop it.

Oh, now this is going to be fun: you dismiss what I'm saying here, but obviously you haven't heard Craig describe his "self authenticating witness of the holy spirit" before, which is telling. You've decided to disagree with me without even knowing what I'm talking about. What was that you were saying earlier, about misrepresentations and dishonesty? Well, what would you call reflexive disagreement without even knowing what the topic under discussion is? Thinking

Since you don't seem to know very much about the person you're defending, I'll fill you in: William Lane Craig is a presuppositionalist. When he was addressing the question of whether direct, incontrovertible and unambiguous evidence against the truth of his religion (in the hypothetical he was addressing this came in the form of traveling back in time to see Jesus not rise from the dead) would convince him to give up christianity, Craig said precisely what I said earlier: if he had perfect evidence that his religion was not true, he would continue to believe it because he feels like it's true, and feels like that feeling is divine in origin. He calls it the "self authenticating witness of the holy spirit."

He writes here, on his own website and in his own words, that when presented with evidence that he cannot refute, the proper course of action he would take is to believe in god anyway. The fact that he has faith in god, he says, intrinsically beats out any evidence against his position, no matter what it is. It's a position he's taken numerous times in his writings, of which the specific example I've linked is only one.

So next time, instead of just accusing me of lying, how about you get your own ducks in a row and, you know... actually know what you're talking about before you open your mouth?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: William Lane Craig continues to desperately defend the indefensible. - by Esquilax - February 10, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ham vs. Craig Fake Messiah 22 1911 November 27, 2021 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  William Lane Craig badmouthed Donald Trump. Jehanne 25 3168 August 30, 2020 at 4:14 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  PSA: RationalWiki -- William Lane Craig Jehanne 10 1570 December 14, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  William Lane Craig's drunken phone call. Jehanne 3 1261 January 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Dr. Craig contradiction. Jehanne 121 26288 November 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Bill Craig now claiming to have a PhD in Philosophy. Jehanne 26 5707 March 18, 2017 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  William Craig caught in a lie. Jehanne 23 5027 January 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm
  William Lane Craig unmasked. Jehanne 25 4228 December 7, 2016 at 11:27 am
  William Lane Craig denies the number zero. Jehanne 63 7623 October 30, 2016 at 4:54 pm
  Dr. Craig is a liar. Jehanne 1036 104618 May 24, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: dom.donald