Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come Oh Ye Rational Thinkers...and explain race theory to me
RE: Come Oh Ye Rational Thinkers...and explain race theory to me
Quote:Human races exist... people, get over it.
And, statistically speaking, some races excel on some tasks, while others excel on other tasks... may be a cultural thing, though, but the correlation is there.
I'd say physically blacks and whites are better at some some sports but apart from that I don't see any reason why it's not cultural. Blacks score lower on IQ tests but blacks are, all over the world, overwhelmingly poor, less educated and more religious.
Quote:That said, I have no problem if you apply a statistically relevant stereotype, like... blacks have longer penises than any other race.
But the wrong kind of stereotype grinds gears.... like... native americans are dumber than asians.
The difference isn't that big as people put it
Quote:Apart from that... anything is game.
Did you know that, in portuguese, the polite word to describe a black person is "negro" (same word as in english, but the 'e' reads a bit like eh and all 'o's at the end of words sound like a curt 'u')? And if you use the translation of "black" (preto), you get the non-politically correct version!
These are just two words that describe the same color we use when painting... and with paint, no one cares if you use preto or negro.
We have another color that also gets two words to describe it, red: encarnado, vermelho.... yeah, none of them are even remotely similar to the spanish rojo, or the french rouje. Although the portuguese "roxo" (reads like rho-chu) is purple... Kinda makes you wonder that we went a bit sideways when we decided to name colors, compared with the rest of Europe.
I never use the word negro, I figured blacks are offended if I use it, they prefer preto.

OP

My vision on race is the following:

Biologically, there are minor differences but they are not enough to justify lumping humans into categories. There is no such thing as a 100% pure bloodline

Culturally and socially YES - Race exists and it's still a thing. With race comes culture, religion, habits, language, customs. For minorities race can be a very important uniting characteristic of their people. Ending racism isn't achieved by simply not talking about - Quite the opposite, we have to talk about it and discuss race.

Saying race doesn't exist dismisses terrible experiences everyone might have suffered because of skin colour. I'm going to give an easy example - Many people say "Jew" isn't a race/ethnicity, and that's basically ignoring the amounts of anti-semitism that still exists (In Europe it's more acceptable than "Islamophobia") - Not to mention the majority of anti-semitism isn't religiously driven, it's racially and economically based. So yeah, you may think Jew isn't a race but there are two groups who target Jews for race - Muslims and the far right
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
RE: Come Oh Ye Rational Thinkers...and explain race theory to me - by Dystopia - February 14, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critical Race Theory Spongebob 198 12507 January 21, 2022 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1926 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I Know This Won’t Come As A Shock BrianSoddingBoru4 13 897 February 15, 2021 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  looks like the orange man group making a come back.. Drich 190 11907 December 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Political caricature: come, post and share. WinterHold 73 5026 November 3, 2020 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Elizabeth Warren out of race onlinebiker 47 3672 March 12, 2020 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Explain the impeachment to me Nay_Sayer 23 2695 January 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  I come to this hearing with the deepest sadness. onlinebiker 10 1038 December 19, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Latino is not a race BrokenQuill92 29 2079 December 16, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Republicans, can you explain this to me? Losty 47 6894 May 10, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok