Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
RE: Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
Nestor Wrote:You seem to think that the Bible makes a declarative statement about the monotheistic deity of later tradition that philosophical arguments, as you say, can be stated so as to be made compatible with.

That sentence is poorly written, so I am doing my best to interpret it in a light which is favorable to you. What I said was this:

"However,[the argument that utilizes the premise "out of nothing, nothing comes"] would establish that there is at least one thing in the universe that has at least one of the qualities that the revealed monotheistic god (Jewish, Christian, or of Islam) claims for himself, viz. eternal being."

What I meant to say that the conclusion of that purely philosophical argument converges with the religious claim of the monotheistic traditions that God is eternal. In other words, at least ONE claim of the image of God as claimed to be revealed by the monotheistic traditions does not contradict the conclusions of reason. Does that mean that such a god exists? Certainly not. It was merely a passing comment that apparently you felt needed clarification. Fair enough.

Quote:That's probably the lens through which you read the texts. However, the ancient Hebrews didn't dispute that there were other gods for other nations, they just didn't believe that these gods were comparable to their own---Yahweh---who had chosen them. Monotheism was later adapted, the arguments for such being molded by the philosophers, and utilized by the myth-makers whose deity began to appear less anthropomorphic and more of the detached metaphysical monster that the "intellectual theologians" advocate today.

Wow. So much learning going on here. =) Suffice it to say that the process was a great deal more complex than this caricature you have illustrated here. Is there some truth to what you said about the early Hebrew's monotheistic beliefs, or lack thereof? Certainly. Is it as simple as you describe? Certainly not. But wouldn't that be more appropriate a discussion on a Christian or Jewish topic thread? Or is it always appropriate to critique revealed religious beliefs on a philosophical thread? I mean, all I did was mention the philosophical distinction between a rational, self-evident premise and a (supposedly) revealed proposition, as well as their logical compatibility (i.e. they are not mutually exclusive propositions), and now we are talking about the different revealed understandings of the monotheistic god's inner life. What happened?

Quote:When I said "ancient" I'm pretty much referring to everything prior to the Dark Ages, or about the sixth century. Your Christian monotheism (which the Muslims rightly say isn't really) looks very different from your Jewish monotheism, and your Jewish monotheism looks very different when the Bible is first starting to be written in the 8th century B.C.E. Western philosophy began with Thales in the 6th century and I presume Eastern philosophy slightly predates that (can anyone confirm or deny?).

I am not sure what has brought on this history lesson? I appreciate your concern for my knowledge of comparative religion, but what has that to do with whether or not the concept of creation contradicts "out of nothing nothing comes"?

Quote:But no doubt the authors of the Bible were iron age goat-herders who borrowed from other cultures; and they certainly weren't all that philosophical, which is why people have to bend over backwards to explain all the ridiculous tales while feigning respectability for their "arguments"---what they usually only want to discuss.

Ha! If only every socio-religious phenomenon were so easy to describe!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? - by Ignorant - February 23, 2015 at 11:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 5601 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11748 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 9251 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 31850 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 2929 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can the laws of physics bring something into existence? Freedom of thought 23 5807 June 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  "That's not nothing" Freedom of thought 38 7392 May 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 31390 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Name 1 Something that You are Sure of Walking Void 59 11014 July 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy Dawud 6 4449 April 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Dawud